Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I've never needed it so I don't know for certian. The websites for both programs should have that information if in fact they have it.

·
Banned
74 Posts
yeah my dad uses it and he just does not listen to me norten sucks but when is computer dies it is his falt for not listening......lol :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
169 Posts
deaddybear said:
Do they come with phone support?
AVG free does not come with phone support. The inexpensive pro version does, if you really want it. If you use AVG Free and follow the safe computing practices promoted on this forum, you'll never need the phone support.

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Agreed, AVG seems to be the best of the bunch out there (download link here). I've run boxes with various different scanners and AVG always comes out top of the list, even when I try to deliberately infect the machine as a test. So far on my main system (which has been running with AVG Free version for over a year now) I haven't had a single successful infection. Also, I've never needed to contact the support department for any reason.

Having said that, I also run weekly scans using the following three online scanners - one antivirus program is never enough to catch 100% of the stuff out there, and you should only ever have one installed at a time, so the online scanners are a perfect solution.

Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Trend Micro's Housecall (make sure you put a check in the box beside AutoClean on this one)

·
Registered
559 Posts
hopper said:
AVG free does not come with phone support. The inexpensive pro version does, if you really want it. If you use AVG Free and follow the safe computing practices promoted on this forum, you'll never need the phone support.
Could not have said it better. However, i must answer your original question.. kaspersky is one of -if not- the best anti viruses that you pay for. Mcafee might as well be a virus.

AVG and Avast are great free ones.
-blitze

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmm, I had used Kaspersky and Norton, and concluded that only with McAfee you can surf wherever you want without thinking.

1) McAfee finds malware that (say) Norton doesn't (personal experience from my Norton times).
It catches malware before its penetration, so it has never happened, actually, that later scan found some viruses.

2) Update server, far faster and more reliable then (say) that of Kaspersky.

3) Takes less system resources - far faster app (and accordingly windows) start up than with Norton. Not to mention indestructible Norton Symantec misery.

I'm simply more than satisfied with Mc.

However, this is just my personal opinion from my expirience.

I know nothing about AVG (also heard good things about it, especially its price :smile: )

Blitze105 can you give us some explanation of:
Mcafee might as well be a virus.
It sounds very interestingly.

Regards

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ofcourse i can... the last 3 people i delt with had problems. They were all with mcafee. (these are people I helped, this does not include people on forums)

1. uninstalled it and could no longer connect to the internet
2. it removed sporder.dll on uninstall and couldn't access internet, even after formatting we can't fix it
3. this was on a windows 98 i believe, but they had a bootup scan going and everytime we tunred it off it woudlnt' turn off!

Those are just the things ive tried to fix.. un successfully i might add.
-blitze

·
Registered
559 Posts
Even after we deleted the entire computer adn started over it still was broke, something in their connection was messed up.
-blitze

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hm, imho that's hardly possible (if you did full hdd formatting).

This issue rather points out to a hardware (or driver) problem.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Well it is possible, if it's a virus that lives in a boot sector, and if all that was done was a repair install...

I would do a low-level format just to be sure.

AVG gets my vote as well. My system has not been damaged by a virus- ever- and it's had AVG for the past two years. This program is rock solid, and I swear by it. Consider this- if you can get free support from this board, what's there to lose in trying AVG?

That said, I have access to programs like Macafee and Norton, and I don't use them. They are simply not as good as AVG.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Fox said:
Well it is possible, if it's a virus that lives in a boot sector, and if all that was done was a repair install...

I would do a low-level format just to be sure.

AVG gets my vote as well. My system has not been damaged by a virus- ever- and it's had AVG for the past two years. This program is rock solid, and I swear by it. Consider this- if you can get free support from this board, what's there to lose in trying AVG?

That said, I have access to programs like Macafee and Norton, and I don't use them. They are simply not as good as AVG.
yeah and if AVG could fix my pc it can fix anything my pc had 12 viruses killed 10 lol i had to delelte the 2 myself looking for the viruse files it sucked

·
Registered
40 Posts
NOD32 is a good reliable antivirus with low footprint (it doesnt slow down your programs) and NOD32 has caught every single in the wild virus for around 7 years.

Excellent piece of software with very regular updates. easy to use and install too. www.nod32.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.