Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a good antivirus program ( tired of having to format every 3 months ) so I was wandering if AVG FREE Edison is any good for a plain home gaming computer...

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
AVG used to be one of the better free antivirus programs, but has gone downhill recently compared with others. Try Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira or Avast - all free. I've used all 3 on different gaming computers and they don't slow down the computer or interfere at all while playing.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I agree with koala, but would mention that Microsoft Security Essentials also seems to be going downhill. Avira or Avast would be the best choices. I would also add in Malwarebytes (free if you keep up with manual updates and scanning or paid [only $24.95 for lifetime] if you don't want to bother or forget)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I used to use AVG Free for a couple of years. But then came the day I did a clean install of my computer, including the programs. I did my research, and I found that Avast! was now the best free anti-virus product out there. I would highly recommend it not because of the reviews, but also because of its ease of use, and good features/technology. I have even heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials, which is good because they have a product which is made to work with their own product (the OS), which I hope gives them a useful and practical advantage.

·
Premium Member
19,892 Posts
IMO, it does not sound like an antivirus problem if you are having to reformat every few months. You may have to review your own surfing habits. Antivirus can only do so much and it is up to the user to do the rest. see the following for additional information

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f112/pc-safety-and-security-what-do-i-need-525915.html

Personally I use mse, with online scan housecall as a second opinion. I also have malwarebytes and use superantispyware for a second opinon

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
On what evidence are you saying MSE seems to be going downhill? The latest update has only been out for a few months.
Basically, personal experience on the customer machines that I work on. I'm seeing it fail at finding common viruses, slowing down some older machines (which were the main ones I was using it for since it was so light weight) and other issues that seem to be missing from my mind at the moment. Running on 2 hours of sleep last night...

·
Registered
18 Posts
AVG free is fairly decent and gets the job done. I use Symantec Endpoint Protection and found it works extremely well without being resource heavy.

I concur with sobeit though, if you are having that many problems that often you should trying adjusting your browser settings and habits.
-Learn to clear cookies
-don't save passwords or form data
-clear out temp folders
-set pop-up blockers to high

Another tip for when you're surfing the Net, if a web site looks like it was made by a 14 year old, leave. Bright colours, lots of banners, flashing pop-ups, these are all warning signs of a dangerous web site.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
AVG has gone downhill, very far downhill. Resource hog, poor detection, changes to NICs not reversed on removal even with their removal tool... Shall I go on?

On your point on websites, not true. While those are incredibly obnoxious, the sites more likely to be infected these days are any site that runs ads and that can be any valid website. The New York Times website was the first site I heard of with this problem about two years ago. Good ad blocking software/extensions can help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.