Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

After my computer got infected with winfixer, I've ended up scrubbing my drive and starting over because the computer was seriously clagging with all the crap in it.

Anyhow, I want proper virus/ adware/ spyware protection.

Although I doubt they lead the field in all (or even one of the) three, I reckon, unless presented with a strong argument otherwise that I'm quite happy to buy a suite that takes care off the lot off someone like Mcafee or Norton.

After hours of exhausting reading of reviews etc etc, Norton is apparently slow and has problems and Mcafee is decent but there was a catch there I don't remember either. I came up with a program called PC Cillin by Trend Micro. Seems pretty decent and also is cheaper thanthe others.

I tried to order it through trend micro and on the purchase screen, it said down the bottom,

"Another product that may interest you:"
"Trend Micro™ Anti-Spyware 3.0 (Single User)" $39.95"

Why would they offer me this if spyware protection is included in PC Cillin? Or is the spyware protection in PC Cillin extremely basic?

As you can probably tell, I'm far from a beacon of knowledge on these things and attempts to be clear on what to go for have left me exhausted. Do I need the extra piece of software? Or is PC Cillin great.

Alternatively, another suggestion would be welcome but I would really prefer to simplify things by having all my protection needs in one suite.

Thanks alot in advance,
Daniel.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the response.

I had actually read that thread, having searched the site extensively before posting.

I was wondering specifically what the deal is with the anti spyware program sold by trend micro when PC Cillin supposedly incorporates such protection.

Further more, you recommend free programs and a number of the to provide a line of defense. The reasoning is understood, but wouldn't free programs be undesirable in terms of being up to date? What reason would these companise have to releae updates and keep you up to date?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
DannyD said:
Further more, you recommend free programs and a number of the to provide a line of defense. The reasoning is understood, but wouldn't free programs be undesirable in terms of being up to date? What reason would these companise have to releae updates and keep you up to date?
The same reason the majority of us hang on these forums and provide daily assistance to your questions: we enjoy doing it. Some of the companies that provide free software also make money off of website ads, while others provide free products, but also make money by selling "professional" versions of the software that have more features and would cost you money to purchase. The freeware products can be just as up-to-date as products that require a fee.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Danny,
We have PCcillin on one machine and it's been doing a very good job.
It's an Anti-Virus which is different than an Anti-Spware/ Adware solution.
It auto-updates often and is easy on system resources. ($10.00 after rebate)

An AV alone does not completely defend your comp, that's why they are trying to sell you an Anti-Spyware solution. By the way, that's too much $.

Suprisingly, some of the best comp security solutions are free/ donation ware.
I've got AVG free on another machine and it is just as good if not better than PCcillin.

You need a Firewall, Anti-Virus (one only), and a Anti-Spyware/Adware array (a combination) just one is not enough according to the security folks.

Search the forum for a thread called The Perfect Balance

JF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.