Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an Antec TruePower II 430 Watt PSU... would it be sufficient to power an X1950XT and an Athlon X2 3800+ CPU? My RAM is Corsair's ValueSelect, and I don't have a tremendous amount of peripherals at my computer.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... with dual 12V rails, do you just add what each rail is capable of? In other words, would dual rails, each with 16 amps, be the same as one rail with 36 amps?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
you add the rails together and deduct about 20% from memory and that gives you your total output
i'e'
16=16=32-20%=26

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would have to say your PSU is not up to the job of running your video card properly, it will run it for a while but your give it a high end workout for sure >>>>>>>>> electrical parts dont like that

I would suggest you look at the Antec Trio Rail 650 watt for around $120.00 ish at newegg.com

OCZ alos some some good deals on 600 watt and 700 watt units at tiger direct.com for around $99.00

any PSU youre gonna buy for $80.00 or under is gonna be low quality for sure, why not spend and extra $30.00 to $40.00 and never have to worry about power again ?? hell you werent in the bargain isle when you bought that video card, you sure dont want to feed that card with a bargain PSU

dont hesitate to ask more questions

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm definitely not going to use my current PSU. That OCZ 700 W looks great... I was comparing it to the 650 watt Antec Trio Rail... would I be better off with an extra 50 watts or with the third rail? (Particularly considering that I'll probably keep this PSU when further upgrading to a DX10 card and new RAM and a new CPU).

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I'm seeing that the OCZ 700 Watt actually has 4 rails with 18 Amps each.. wow. What makes you say the Antec is better?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Actually I'm seeing that the OCZ 700 Watt actually has 4 rails with 18 Amps each.. wow. What makes you say the Antec is better?
Quality and efficiency. :wink:

Although they are both very good, at higher loads pushing their limit (>520W) the Antec TP3 is the much better one. If you are willing to keep this PSU for a serviceable lifetime in excess of 6 months and DX10 cards too - then at first I'd like to know more details before committing to an answer;

DX10 GPU: high end, mid or low end and how many?
Time before your upgrade?
Will you upgrade the CPU?

(NB: AMD AM2+ are due out August-September. July 22nd the Intel quad core Q6600 which has just been dropped to $530, will be slashed further to $266 after price cuts, and many more will be very cheap, with newer products filling the higher value segment. So keep that in mind.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, when I do a major video card update I like to spend no more than $300, so probably on the low end of the high-performance cards. I'd upgrade at least a year from now, probably more like a year and a half. And I'm also considering immediately getting an athlon X2 3800+ (as opposed to just keeping my athlon 64 3000+, not sure if this will be completely worth it - although Oblivion seems to benefit from dual core).

I'm a little dismayed that the OCZ seems to lack some protection features of similar PSUs, but I don't know for sure if the Antec does indeed have those features that are missing in the OCZ anyway. Additionally, the the OCZ also appears to have mislabeled how many watts are coming across the 12V rails - they say 680, whereas this review says only 600:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/397/5

Thanks so much your input!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
two major things make the 650 antec better

#1 >>>> its really made by seasonic

#2 the seasonic units are really single rail PSU's with some tricky involved to get "by" the multi rail label a single rail PSU is favored by high performance system because there are no rail balancing worries

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.