Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NetGear Wireless N Router, Scientific Atlanta cable modem, Optimum internet service.

I currently have one desktop Dell wired, one desktop Dell wireless both are working. Two laptops, one Dell downstairs and one HP upstairs suddenly (in last 2 days) cannot find the wireless network. All PCs are running Windows XP.

I've gone through all the wireless posts on this forum and can't figure out how 2 computers in the network suddenly can't see the wireless network. Both say "No wireless networks found in range."

How can that be? Did something change on the router? Is there something I should do that I'm not doing? How can 1 out of 3 see the wireless network and 2 can't? I'm so perplexed.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,025 Posts
Some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
  5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I've done all the steps except change the channel on the router. I've moved the laptops into the same room, upgraded the firmware, set the router back to default etc etc. I contacted Netgear who walked me through resetting everything but when they said to choose the wireless networks in range, there were none. My laptops simply don't see it. And they were stymied.

Frustrating! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dell XPS M1730 and an HP (Compaq) NC4000

They both stopped working at the exact same time. Both say there are no wireless networks in range (though I am sitting next to the router with one) But the one desktop that connects through wireless sees the network. I don't get it.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,025 Posts
If you've gone through my list of fixes for the router and both machines still suddenly fail to see it at times, I'd say it's quite possible it's dying or dead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.