Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i view the computers connected to the network in microsoft windows network through 'my network places' i can only see about half of the computers actually connected. My friend in the room nextdoor can't see me and i can'tsee him. I can see a load of other people he can't see and he can only see people that i can't see. It seems as if there are two sub networks or something which can't interact. However, when in i-tunes i can see peoples shared music whose computers i cant see in microsoft windows network even though for i-tunes to be able to share they have to be on the same subnet do they not? Any help showing me how to connec to these computers through microsoft windows network would be appreciated!
Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Can you ping by name or IP address the "invisible" machines? Where is this network? What firewalls do the "invisible" machines run?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a university halls of residence bedroom network. I'm not sure what firewalls the other computers are running because i obviously dont have access to them all with them being in peoples rooms, however i do know a few people who i cant 'see' are just running the standard windows firewall.
I'm afraid i don't know much about networks and so i'm not sure about how to ping by name or IP address. I know the IP address range for this halls but not which individual IP corressponds to which computer.
Thanks for your help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.