Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am struggling to find my solution to Dial-up Networking Error 797. I am using dial-up so I can change IP's, but I also connect to a home network via wireless on this laptop (i get a 1.5mb cable connection from wireless router).

On 4/3/2011, I installed PeoplePC. I encountered no errors installing the software. When I got impatient with the speed, I decided I would try another ISP, Juno, to see if I could access better dial-up. I had no problems with my modem at this point.

By the way, the modem is Agere Systems AC'97 Modem. It is inside my laptop.

When Juno's CD came in the mail, I installed it, even before I uninstalled PeoplePC. The first error I came about was error 680 - no dial tone. Then the fun began...

I uninstalled PeoplePC by way of Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. I ran a search for any files relating to PeoplePC and deleted them. I could tell the software wasn't completely uninstalled. Then I did a lot of registry cleans. Then I did a defrag. The only thing left of PeoplePC is the 'Dialer Settings' icon in the Control Panel. I'm sure there's tons more PeoplePC remaining in my registry.

So after I learned to disable the modem in Device Manager before attempting to connect, I get the error message 797- The modem is being used by another application. This is what the Juno software said.

I suspected spyware. I updated/ran Spybot S&D- found nothing. I scoured the net about how to rid a computer of PeoplePC dialer spyware, but the only way was by using the PeoplePC files, which I no longer have any files on my computer relating to PeoplePC. Should I try to reinstall PeoplePC and do this method?

Attempted solutions:

Uninstalled all dial-up software, uninstalled modem, ran disk cleanup, then went to command prompt and typed "sfc /scannow" (restores essential Windows files to original condition). Reinstalled modem and driver, tried to reconnect. Same error- 797.

Went to Network Connections- deleted PeoplePC connection settings, Juno connection settings. Restarted. Tried to connect.

Reinstalled Internet Explorer (I read that PeoplePC makes changes to that browser).

Booted into safe mode. Looked for PeoplePC files. Didn't find a trace of the software.

Cancelled PeoplePC service (thought it might interfere somehow).

In safe mode, went to device manager. I chose 'View Hidden Devices' and tried to uninstall WAN Miniport (PPTP), LP2P, and PPPoE (I don't remember what those are actually named in Device Manager. Windows wouldn't let me make any changes to those (message was those are vital for startup).
---------------------------------------
I've spent a lot of time looking up different ways. Does anybody have any other suggestions, or am I gonna have to back up all my files and reinstall Windows?

I ran the Windows Recovery Console, but I didn't know what commands to use.

Right now, I'm running a full scan of Ad-Aware.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I found this for you here: Remove PeoplePC Dialer If you go to the site, don't download the software, you don't need it. See below for how to kill a process and how to unregister an dll.

Below listed processes dlls files are part of this spyware. To manually get rid of it, follow these instructions (at your own risk).
PeoplePC Dialer Removal Instructions
Kill the following processes
dialer.exe
Unregister the following DLLs and reboot
images.dll, lang_en.dll in Windows\peoplepc\dialer\dll\
dms.dll in Windows\peoplepc\dialer\dms\
Remove the following files
dialer.exe in Windows\peoplepc\dialer\
images.dll, lang_en.dll in Windows\peoplepc\dialer\dll\
dms.dll in Windows\peoplepc\dialer\dms\
To kill a process, open the task manager either with Ctrl+Alt+Del or right click on your tack bar and click on Task Manager or Start Task Manager depending on your OS. Go to the Processes tab, find the process and select it. Click on End Process. It will ask you to confirm. Do so.

To unregister a dll see this:
How to unregister a dll file in Windows XP or Vista? For XP/Vista

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thank you very much for your replies. The problem here was my modem was broken. I learned that lightning affects dial up modems, and we are in storm season.

I read that PeoplePC was sued a few years ago, but there were no remnants of spyware on my computer. I don't recommend installing ISP software, however.

This thread can be closed.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Ah, lightning! You're very lucky it only took out the modem. I have had machines in that lightning came in through the modem and took out the motherboard. Sadly, these people weren't even using the modem for anything. They just had it plugged in. Phone lines in the US (don't know about other countries) carry a small electrical charge. This charge can attract the lightning. This is also why it isn't a good idea to talk on a wired phone during an electrical storm. Wireless phones are generally safe.

I remember, back in the days when the dialup modems were separate units, actually watching lighting come down the line and blow up my modem. Very scary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.