Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve bought a used computer from a friend and every time I log online I keep getting these pop up windows telling me that my registry needs cleaning and that it requires immediate attention. They provide a website (www.helpfixpc.com & www.winregistrycleaner.com ) advising me to download, update and run the software. Please help I don’t know if this is a virus of some sort and I can’t seem to get rid of it.
My pc details are:
Specification for this PACKARD BELL 1559 Processor Type Intel Pentium D 820
Clock-Speed 2.8GHz
Front Side BUS 800MHz
Cache 2 mb
Operating-System Windows XP Home Edition
RAM Memory 1024 mb
Hard Disk Capacity 160 Gb
Optical Drive 1 Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD Re-Writer Drive
Graphics Memory 256mb mb
Graphics Description NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE
Sound Card Onboard
Soundcard included No
Media Card Reader 8-In-1
No of USB connections 6
No of PCI Slots 4
No. of Firewire Connections 0

I will be grateful for any help to resolve this annoying pop up

Thanks

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Looks like spyware. Follow the instructions here and then post a HJT log in a new thread here for the security analysts to look at.

It may take a couple of days before you receive a reply as their workload is very heavy at the moment, so please be patient. In the meantime, don't click on any of the popup links or download any of their software.

·
Registered
146 Posts
and go download adaware, spybot search and destroy, spyware blaster, and run them all

all are free, just do a google search for them and ull find them.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
They provide a website (www.helpfixpc.com & www.winregistrycleaner.com ) advising me to download, update and run the software. Please help I don’t know if this is a virus of some sort and I can’t seem to get rid of it.
DO NOT download and install these softwares you're offered!

Please do as koala asked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.