Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through with reading the Sony forums. There are two threads running that deal with having to upgrade to Win2000/XP. Many people are still angry over having to change in order to run the new Sound Forge software.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
266 Posts
M.F.,

I think that's just like everything else in this tech-world, sooner than later, you're forced to move on... and if you don't like it, just don't use it.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I try to think of it like cars. I drive my cars into the ground, but I almost always buy new when I buy.

Many of us love our OS's, but eventually, we drive them into the ground, so to speak.

There are great deals on authentic OS's from reputable suppliers available on the net. I paid $150 ish for my W2K system, using ZD Net, about 4 years ago. An acquaintance just picked one up for $125.

Sometimes, it is time to move on. :mad:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I grew up with Windows 95/98/ME, and enjoyed them dearly. I wasd used to them and knew them like the back of my hand. I enjoyed the familiarity, and didn't want to change to XP. When I first tried XP, I hated it since it was different. However, after using XP for a while, I'm enjoying the simplicity and stability of it. Although I've set my XP up to be a lot like the old Windows family, I've had to learn the differences in XP. I'm liking XP more and more since I'm developing the familiarity I once enjoyed with the old systems.

Technically, I grew up on Apple II systems when I was a kid. I learned them well, and hated the IBM-based systems. If I had refused to change with the times, I'd still be on my 2.8MHz Apple IIGS instead of my current 2.8GHz system. I'm quite happy with embracing the changes and a computer that's 1000 times faster.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I guess that's a big part of it. Some people don't like change, and hate anything that is unfamiliar or different. Me? I embraced XP even though it looked different from other versions of Windows. I didn't want it to look familiar. No, it doesn't look serious, but there is a serious engine running back there. I tried the older Windows emulation but I realized at that point that I got XP to get away from the same-ol' Windows.

I never want to be one of those people who become set in their ways and refuse to try anything. See, fear is why many people refuse to move up to XP. That's one of the reasons I waited so long. Also, if one has a certain fear about changing, one is also more receptive to fear-mongers' rantings. I believed all the crap about XP being worse and incompatible with anything. I read all the horror stories about the lack of security. Well, yeah, if you don't take preventive measures, of course it's going to be insecure! I listened to all those people who had slow machines and didn't like all the stuff running in the background. I had a well-working Win98 PC and very few things running, but still had the occasional blue screens, the driver issues, program hangs, slowdowns, you name it. Oh, i've had a couple of those things happen in XP too, but at least I know what caused them, and I could fix it. I couldn't easily do that in 98, if at all. All those things running in the background doesn't hamper my speed at all.

I think I know another reason why proplr don't want to move up: they don't want to spend money! Indeed, you have seen tons of people, even here, who will work around getting something as basic as an antivirus just because they don't want to spend money for it. No, you still don't have to, but the better ones, more established ones, require the mean green. There are even those who don't want to lose their "free" copies of Winows and pay for a new one. I also had a free Windows 2000, a gift, if you will, but I still spent the $$ for the upgrade because I wanted to start out my machine in the best way. And, now I am ready for the next Windows OS, whenever it gets here.

Oh yeah, I am already reading about the gloom and Doom of "Longhorn" all over the net, but I am going to wait and see instead of declaring the sky falling first. Yup, they are working on the ultimate security now, even putting the task into the CPU chip. People complain about a lack of security in Windows. Now they are complaining about too much security in the new one. You will no longer be able to run illegal software, or use certain multimedia the way you want to. The last one concerns me greatly, but I am still going to see how it plays out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.