Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small network at home what connected to the internet through a Belkin modem with built-in wireless router. (Belkin Wireless G router with built-in adsl modem) I have a continuous fight with my flatmate that if he connects to file sharing networks like dc++ and allows incoming connections the whole networks slows down a lot. Seriously when he starts dc++ it seems the internet is frozen, no connection at all. Even if he is downloading with 2k/sec and no uploads, the 8mbits we have looks like an 56k modem.
I think it is because of the too much tcp connections the dc++ makes at a time and the router can't handle that or something like that.

I tried to do some network traffic analysis but I'm connected through wireless, he is connected with a cable, so when I tried a packet analyzer (IRIS I think, not sure and I can't check right now, I'm at work :) ) it just monitored the wireless network up to the router so I couldn't check the wired network.

So question 1: is there any way to do some kind of network traffic monitoring on the whole network in this situation? (connected via wireless, but I would like to check the wired network as well)
question 2: which is the best way to optimize his computer to restrict the full bandwidth usage and avoid the network stops like this in the future?

and if you have any other idea what else I could do... :)

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
Buy a router with QoS capability and limit his connection throughput.

Better yet, get your own broadband and really fly. :grin:

Another option is to punch his lights out whenever he hogs the network. :laugh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.