Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this problem started about 2 months ago. On our home network, my mother's computer has a Netgear printserver/firewall, and our other computers are on it wirelessly. All of us are running XP, and the main problem is with XP. Back to the problem. About 2 months ago, my mother had a contiuous virus message. "No problem" I thought, she probably didn't update the AV software, I'll do that, scan it, fix it. Did that, thought it was done. A few weeks later, she kept getting messages of a corrupted .dll file in the windows folder, over and over again. I use lavasoft adaware along with Norton and I've been fine, so I install adaware, run both software, yet find nothing. At the suggesting of a friend, I install the trail version of Kaspersky and run it. It finds and cleans everything, and her computer was running fine.

That is until about three days ago. Not only did that .dll message back, but programs are acting very strangely. When she tries to print an email, Outlook express just closes down. IE closes down shortly after opening (and NOW she listens when I say Mozilla FF is safer and better). I tried to do a system restore, but that closes down as soon as it starts. Nothing gives an error message crashes, it all just closes down. Kaspersky did find the .dll, and eliminate it (even though it "eliminated" it earlier), but these freak problems persist.

Now it is suggested that I just wipe the hd clean, and install everything all over again. The biggest problem with that is that now our Netgear cd is nowhere to be found, so the rest of us (who rely on the network for either school or work) would be pretty much jacked if this is done.

I just want to know is there some alternative that I have overlooked. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.