Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am building a computer and I have most the parts picked out except for the CPU. I think my GPU will be a hd 4870. This computer will be primarily for gaming and some occasional video converting. I can't decide whether to go AMD or Intel for the processor. I see that the AMD phenom ii x4 940 black edition and the Intel Core 2 duo e8500 are the same price. I know that the Intel has a slightly higher clock speed than the AMD but the AMD has 4 cores, runs at 3 ghz and has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking. I would appreciate some advice about which one to pick. I don't have a preference for either company.
Also, I would spend up to $250 on a CPU so if anyone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it.
I live the US by the way.
thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
if it going to be built for games, go with the 8500 no questions asked. Games on the market today are not designed to take advantage of 4 cores, nor will they in the near future. Game developers are working on converting games to consols, not taking advantage of quad cores.

You will be able to overclock the 8500 up to 4ghz without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah I agree I just finished my build. I took the 8400 though for cost. The rest of my pc is built for clocking and when the time comes I can buy a better CPU for less money,..least thats my plan anway,..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll go with the e8500. It looks like Intel will outperform AMD for the forseeable future so I think it would be easier to upgrade in the future if I had an Intel now.

Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.