Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MBA, MCITP, MCSA, Sec+
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried nearly everything to fix this. Windows XP SP3 includes the "dual core hotfix", and the individual 2.2 megabyte patch can't be installed on its own because it was included in SP3.

So, running an AMD X2 5600+, with a nVidia 9600GT, and 2 gigabytes of PC800 RAM, here is what happens in a game of Counterstrike: Source:

Twenty seconds of great, 80 fps game play, followed by twenty seconds of 3-4 fps game play. Repeat the above status to a constant.

I watched my system stats as WoW ran and found the following:

Look at the lower right, the task manager shows CPU usage at 93% while running WoW, and goes back down to 5% when WoW is closed. Same goes for Counterstrike.

I'm totally baffled, as I've played both WoW and Counterstrike flawlessly on this machine before, and I have no idea how this is slowing up on a fresh OS reinstall like this.

Any thoughts?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi mjones1

Quick-fix try:
I've seen a few PCs have the transfer-mode for their hard drives change upon installing either the April Windows Updates, or Service Pack 3. If you have an IDE hard drive, in Device Manager check that its IDE controller isn't set to "PIO Mode" instead of the DMA level that it should be. If it is set to PIO Mode, then while still in Device Manager - uninstall the IDE controller (and don't restart the PC just yet) and uninstall the hard drive as well (and then reboot). You'll have to reboot one more time after Windows re-detects your controller & hard drive -- then the correct DMA setting should show in Device Manager.

If you have a SATA drive, this doesn't apply -- but you might want to see that the correct SATA driver is listed.
_____

Should the above not help:
1) Which process has the highest cpu use in the processes tab when the fps drops?
2) Have you check on the websites for the affected games for post-SP3 patches?

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Banned
18 Posts
Another Approach

The changing performance may be due to spiking the CPU. There are malwares and corrupt software situations that cause the CPU to periodically run up to 100 for no apparant reason.

Run Task Manager and see if the FPS change is coincident with CPU spiking. This may be malware or corrupt software.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.