Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a new system for web surfing, and minor gaming.
Specs as shown.

AMD Sempron 2600+ Socket 754
ECS EliteGroup nForce 3 250 Motherboard
1 stick of 512mb PC3200 DDR Ram
80gb Sata Hdd
Apollo Fx5500 256mb Agp Video Card
PCI US Robotics 56k Modem
Wired Ps2 Mouse and Keyboard.
No Speakers
Windows XP Pro Sp2
Full Atx Case w/ 450watt Power Supply

The issue is that this system works wonders, It's power on to desktop load time is about 25 secs. It does not give any blue screen errors, it runs all programs fine except for games. I have Xp Sp2 installed, DirectX 9.0c, and the newest Nvidia Video and Motherboard Drivers. I have flashed Bios up to the newest one avail which is 1.0E. Now that I have stated what I've done now to the details of the issue. This computer will install Doom 3 and Sims 2 perfectly no issues both retail verisons, but once you try to load the game they freeze at a screen that you normally do not see if they work correctly. They pause at this screen Hdd goes to a full load cycle to no avail and if I do not kill the process the system hard lock in about 60secs. Heres where it gets really weird. Medal of Honor which I know is not a very spec heavy game, still it runs perfectly at Full Res. all options to max. Thats not that strange until I tried to run CIV 3, just inserting the cd and letting the autorun start causes the cpu usage to go to 100% and does not go away until the autorun is exited. I have swapped ram, video card, and hdd. With no luck has anyone every heard of anything like this before I believe it to be a Processor or Motherboard, we'll find out soon I am getting a RMA on the Motherboard from Newegg in the next week (only because I don't have a proc to swap with). But if anyone has any ideas I am open to suggestion. Thanks Jared.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Try getting 3dMark05 or 3dMark03 (benchmark program)...it sounds like a standard PSU problem.

I notice you have a 450watt one but if it came with the case, chances are it is a low quality one, and probably does not actually produce 450watts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just remember that I never posted a resolution to this issue, just in case someone out there has this problem. It was not the psu......It was the Dvd-Combo drive that was installed, I fixed this issue by accident. I got a used dvdrw off someone for 15 dollars which was good at the time. My Girlfriend
about a week or two after I installed the drive, visited a bunch of spyware heavy websites. So I formatted and reloaded the system. Well a couple of days later she pops in the civ3 cd. Which I knew would hard lock the system.
But not today.... System worked fine.........All the games that I had tried now worked fine.....I had reloaded the system 3 times before on the old combo drive, with the same result. So if anyone has this issue... Replace the Opitcal drive. It also could be an incompatablity issue, I had a 20x dvdrw fail to load windows the other day on a new build, replaced the drive, and it works fine. Installed that 20x drive into another system, and it installed Windows fine. So watch for that as well..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.