Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't know too much about computers so I need some info. I'm planning to urgrade my computer, but I'm not sure which type of processor to buy. I wanna choose from either the intel P4 2.4 400mhz OR the amd 2400 processor. Which is the better processor comparing performance and prices? I hope someone who knows what he/she is talking about can assist me with this dilema. Will be checking up for replies.............

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you're going for the P4-2.4g processor, I'd go for the -533 FSP, why give up the performance?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It would depend on your mother board. Are you upgrading it as well? Then you have choices. If not, then you have to stick with the CPU manufacturer you're already using.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
upgrade

Yeah, I'm upgrading my motherboard as well. Which motherboards do you recommend? I wanna use my existing SDRAM, so I'm looking for a motherboard that supports the P4 533mhz and SDRAM. Know any good motherboards?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another question

Just another question. Why is the 533mhz better than the 400mhz? The 533mhz is cheaper than the 400mhz, so does cheaper=less quality or more expensive=better performance? I'm planning to buy a barebone system, but it might be cheaper for me if I build it myself. If you guys know any good sites that offer the best discounts, then holla at me!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hmm. I don't really have any advice, other than to pass on third party info ... I hear Asus and Gigabyte Mobo's are good.

I hear newegg.com is a good site to buy parts from - reputable and inexpensive.

For very intensive - and knowledgeable hardware PC people, I recommend this site: http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com ... not that the folks here aren't knowledgeable ... ;)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Re: another question

ezyang said:
Just another question. Why is the 533mhz better than the 400mhz? The 533mhz is cheaper than the 400mhz, so does cheaper=less quality or more expensive=better performance?
The FSB running at 533mhz vs. 400mhz results in significantly greater memory bandwidth, which obviously affects performance. I do see on Pricewatch that the 400 is slightly more expensive, which makes no sense to me! The only reason I can come up with is that they're in short supply, and for people upgrading a system that won't accept the 533, they're the only game in town. Other than the increased memory bandwidth, there is no difference in the specifications for the two chips.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
To backup Johnwill here is what Intel says about the 533 vs 400:

533-MHz or 400-MHz System Bus
The Pentium 4 processor's 533-MHz system bus supports Intel's highest performance desktop processor by delivering 4.2 GB of data-per-second into and out of the processor. This is accomplished through a physical signaling scheme of quad pumping the data transfers over a 133-MHz clocked system bus and a buffering scheme allowing for sustained 533-MHz data transfers. The Pentium 4 processor's 400-MHz system bus supports Intel's performance desktop processor by delivering 3.2 GB of data-per-second into and out of the processor. This is accomplished through a physical signaling scheme of quad pumping the data transfers over a 100-MHz clocked system bus and a buffering scheme allowing for sustained 400-MHz data transfers. This compares to 1.06 GB/s delivered on the Pentium III processor's 133-MHz system bus.
If you can afford it go with Intel. But I don't see much of a difference.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Personally, I use to use nothing but Pentium. But, I had a friend of mine that got a new AMD Athlon XP 1800 + a couple years ago and I liked the way it ran so much that I sold my PIII 750 and bought me one too and now I am not saying anything bad about Pentium but AMD has my vote stricktly from the price value for the buck and performance standpoint.

As for motherboards, I bought an APoX and haven't been sorry what so ever............very stable and solid board and good price too.

Good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
32 Posts
ezyang said:
I wanna choose from either the intel P4 2.4 400mhz OR the amd 2400 processor. Will be checking up for replies.............

As far as processors go the 2.4 Ghz and AMD 2400 are not equal. The AMD is slightly slower (2.1 GHz approx) and is cheaper in price too. However AMD argues the architecture of the AMD makes it faster than the Pentium in other respects. SO its a tough call.

Choose your motherboard CPU combination and compare the price vs performance then. And include the price of the ram in there as well.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I doubt you'll see much difference with small changes in processor speed. One thing to consider for the AMD, they require a much better cooling solution, since they generate a lot more heat than the Intel processors. Also, you'll want to make sure your P/S will handle the current requirements of the processor you select. I will probably pick up an AMD for my next upgrade, just because I'd like to get some experience with them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
AMD is gaining in popularity due to two major things.

1. they are becoming more and more reliable

2. and they are much cheaper in price

I think the second reason is the biggest reason and the main reason my last choice when i built my last system was AMD.

But, it is all a matter of personal preference.

good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
For cooling - I think as long as you have an AMD certified heatsink/fan and don't over clock it's OK.

I just bought a 1700XP from newegg.com for $51.00! :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my opinion I would go with the P4. It is not that much more expensive and it is worth it, it has a higher cache size and faster bus speeds.

AMD 2400- cache-384K FSB- 266MHz
P4 2.4- cache-512K FSB-400 or 533MHz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.