Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about AMD Ryzen and Intel Core. Which do you prefer and why.

I am choosing between AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and Intel Core i5-10400F.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,927 Posts

·
457 Posts
AMD R5 3600 and Intel 10400f are very close slight edge to AMD with overall CPU performance power usage -- R5 3600 sips power just like a 5600x. Intel 11400 and 11400f outperform the R5 3600 handily especially if you remove power limits, but all that makes zero difference if you're not a gamer. 10400 and R5 3600 are last gen if I were you I would look at a 5600x (maybe to costly for you) or an 11400 or 11600k. The thing to know is that with 11400 or 11600k once you remove power limits (somewhat like overclocking) your power usage skyrockets and if you have a power hungy GPU you could need in excess of a 650-750w high quality power supply - depends on the GPU. Actually if you like Intel the 10600k which is essentially an 8700k ~1 gen ahead step-up is a good bargain and you also get Intel iGPU to bail you out of potential GPU related technical situations like ... you don't already have a GPU, especially in this awful GPU pricing fiasco. Any AMD processor that is non "G" is a non starter for anyone that has no GPU.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,776 Posts
Sparechange is spot on with all the technical reasoning but he and I both know one more thing. Ease of build and ease of system setup is still with Intel and if you build a Ryzen system be prepared to take a lot of time personalizing and tweaking the AMD system until you get everything you want to run right whereas the Intel system will go up and run perfectly from the start allowing you to tweak as you go along at your leisure. Personally I love my Ryzen 3600 system but remembering how much work it was to build it will most likely be my last Ryzen system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts