Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ procesor for my pc. My old mainboard didnt support it so i got a new one. I installed everything corectly and it all worked fine. Exept for one thing. when i check in system properties and it said that my cpu was an Athlon XP 2000+ instead of a 2600+. i checked all over bios untill i found that the front side bus was working at 133 instead of 333 which is the procesors bus speed. i came to the conclution that it was my old ddr memory the thing that was not letting my procesor work at its full potentia. i havent had time yet to get a new memory to see if it works so i first wanted to ask here. if it is of any help here are the specs of my pc.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
256 ddr memory
biostar m7vit pro mainboard
geforce fx 5600 256mb ddr

Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums Hideaki............:D

What does the bios report the CPU as?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Depending on your specific MB, (it would be nice to specify all of this in future queries), you may be able to run the FSB at 166, which is the proper speed for that processor, while the memory runs at it's rated speed. My EPOX 8RDA allows that, and I'm sure other MB's do too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on how new the board is you may need to update the bios. And as regard the FSB settings, they should be at 133 if im not mistaken provided you running a thoroughbred core (133 = 266MHz)

·
Registered
7 Posts
i recently bought a new system, abit max2 mobo, new hdd, asus ti 5800 gforce gcard and an athlon 2600 + 333 cpu.

Installed with a fresh build of windows 2000 with all current service packs, up to date drivers for all hardware, flashed the mobo, updated directx. Tried different graphics cards, RAM, sound cards etc and every time it runs a 3d game it crashes within 0-2 minutes.

Games it does this on that i know of are Eve, Planetside, Quake2 and Halflife. I have run BurnInTest and nothing produces any errors. Running Quake2 or Halflife in software mode produces an instant crash every time, whereas in hardware mode it takes longer to crash.

The company i bought it from initially said they were almost certain the cpu was faulty so i sent it back to them for testing, it took them a month to run brunintest on it again, at which point they told me it was fine and charged me £25 for the privelage (scan computers if you want to avoid them) .

I can only get games to work when the cpu is clocked down to the settings for a 1600 cpu (possibly 1800 its been a month since i tested this myself).

I have no idea what to do next I have completely run out of ideas as have 3 friends of mine who are all IT hardware and software installation professionals. The dxdiag test also comes back with no errors.

What am i missing, is anyone able to help me?!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums varkdm...............:D

What you have done here is called thread hijacking! Sticking your problem on someone Else's thread and it is not considered good forum etiquette.

Besides if you start your own thread then all the answers you get will be relative to your particular issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes but the reason i attached my problem to this thread was because the 2 issues might be related, also teh original post on this thread was quite old now so I really didn't think it mattered as it was basically a dead post, but fair enough il duplicate it then...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem everything works fine except my amd 2600+ is showing 2000+ yesterday it was showing 2600+ at 1.92 ghz now it is showing 2000+ at 1.54ghz ? why is this so i have ddr1 512mb ram at 400 bus speed i checked in bios for 133 and whtever was there but still it show 2000+
=(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.