Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I went into control userpasswords2 (under "Run") and checked to not have users sign in (or unchecked the box). Now, Windows XP loads automatically and when I noticed I couldn't download or do anything, I went to user accounts in the Control Panel and there is only ONE USER, me as Owner but with limited access..where did the other users go? Why did it take away my admin access? Now when I try to Log off and back in again, it lists user as Administrator and asks for the password and when I type in the one and only password I've ever put in the computer, it denies access. I've even left it blank. I can't access the "forgotten password" disk in my A drive because I can't start in Safe mode..all I get is an endless loop of the computer coming back to the F8 screen and asking me what mode I'd like to boot in...now what do I do? Please help!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
You could try cracking the password.

Windows 2000 and XP passwords are stored in a file called SAM (Security Accounts Manager). It's located in the windows\system32\config directory. Passwords are encrypted and stored within SAM as a password hash. Passwords look something like this: 8F J7 F3 GK S3 lL O4 E1 G9. To figure out your lost password, you have to extract the encrypted hash from SAM and crack it.

If no one else has any ideas that are less drastic I'll let them post before giving in-depth instructions on cracking your password.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am a little unclear of exactly what you are doing at login.........."have you tried to simply type in the original user name for for desktop (and password if you had one)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.