Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I am sitting to close to my computer monitor. I usually spend time at the computer 5-7 hours a day, and my eyes kinda hurt after a while and they feel strained. How far away should I be sitting away from my computer? I dont want any more eye strains.

Should I take a picture of how close I am sitting next to my monitor? and measure the length of how long?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's not how close you're sitting, it's how long you are sitting. Go take a walk. Your computer will still be there when you get back. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thanx. i no that has to do with it to, but i am certain it has to do with sitting to close to the computer also. i use to sit at the computer like 9 hours a day straight and never get eye strains like this. what's the problem here? maybe i should take a picture.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day Geek49,
With the 17" Monitor [flat screen] that I have, I sit about 900mm or 3' from it.
I'm at my computer on average 11 hours a day (mostly on TSF :grin:), and don't have any sight problems.

I would suggest that the further away the better, so long as it is comfortable for you to see the Monitor and operate the keyboard/mouse.

That's my opinion anyway. :wave:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I agree, if it feels comfortable it's probably about right, I'm about 2' from mine and it's as close as I can get due to where it is, one thought though, are you using a CRT monitor ? if you are check the refresh rate, anything under 75 could be whats causing this, or contributing at least, set it at the highest rate you can, but if it's flat screen then set it to 60, see if that helps, otherwise it's just your body telling you your going over the hill lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I sit a good distance away from the monitor, atleast 4 feet. Always wanted to avoid having to get glasses/contacts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alright, I took a picture of myself to show everyone how close I sit at my computer. Please tell me if this is to close or to far away. I dont use a flatscreen monitor. I use a regular fat monitor.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/638/1000400eq3.jpg
[Click the above link to view the picture]

Notice how I have a black mask over my face. It's just so people dont know what I look like.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
That looks like about the same distance that I sit from mine ........unfortunately you do not have an option whether to slide your chair back or not as your keyboard is not on a sliding ledge as most are when their computer is on a computer desk. You need to make sure you can reach the keyboard in order to type. It would be uncomfortable for you to stretch your arms in anusual manner to reach the keyboard.

As I look at your arm length and imagine you stretch out your arm to full length it would be the appropriate length away

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol it wasn't that hard to see through it. but my mom took the picture for me.

but... So I am fine where I am?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
It looks good from what I can see, if you are comfortable where you are at then your good to go

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,296 Posts
one thought though, are you using a CRT monitor ? if you are check the refresh rate, anything under 75 could be whats causing this, or contributing at least, set it at the highest rate you can, but if it's flat screen then set it to 60, see if that helps
My thoughts exactly...one of the first LCDs I ran into had refresh set waaay off and within 5 minutes of sitting in front of it I had a splitting headache.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Right click on an open area (not on any folders etc) of your desktop and select Properties, then click on the Settings tab, at the bottom you will see a slider bar and the screen size to the right of it, under that is a button called Advanced, click on it and another window will open, the tabs will vary depending on your setup, but in one of those tabs you will find the refresh rate, as your using a CRT monitor set it as high as you can, 75 at a minimum, but if yours can handle 100 go for it, but choose the highest setting it offers you, it will then flicker the screen and if you can see it saying about if it's OK click on OK in that query to save that setting, then OK exit everything on the way out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.