Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new pc but I'm not a computer pro so I want to make sure that I'm not getting taken advantage of. I want to get one custom built and need to now what hardware I should or should not get.

The main purpose for the computer is gaming.
I have decided on AMD instead of Intel but am hesitating between an X2 3800+ or a 3500+.

I have read that for the moment, dual core dosen't really affect game performance but if it is futurproof then I'm really interested.

The most interesting offer that has been made by a store is the following:

athlon64 X2 3800+
dual core 2x512KB 64-bit
asus A8N-E nf4 ultra
512 mo ddr 3200(400)
200Go sata/150 (7200)
NVIDIA 6600LE 256MB 16xPCI-E
(...) for about 1059$ canadian without software or monitor

I would add more memory (1Go) but have doubts about the video card. Wasn't the 6600LE meant for SLI technology? the motherboard isn't sli so why that card? Should I get a geforce 7800GT even though it would hurt my finances a bit or should I go with something else. What would be best to play present and near futur games?

I don't have the money to buy the best highend gaming pc but want to get the most for my money and be sure that i can easily upgrade parts in the futur. I do not trust myself to build my own pc so that's where you all come in.

Help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are worried about pricing, I would go with the 3500+ processor. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference with what you will be using the computer for. Unless, that is, you plan on playing several games at the same time. As for the video card, it is PCI Express, which is what slot your motherboard uses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are my thoughts:

1. I think that is kind of pricey, but typically of a company like this. Building it on your own would definitly cost less (could take some shopping around). If your are buying from a company like this chances are you can't build a computer from scratch anyways.

2. Check out the coolign specs, it is very important...

3. Make sure you're gettinf at least a 400w power supply to be safe. I'd go for 500w personally because.... well just because I like to be prepared for later components that suck up power.

4. Don't expect them to give you another stick of 512 pc 3200, but go and buy smoe yourself (wait for it to come on sale). I'd say don't pay more than 50 bucks for it when you do buy it. Make sure it is name brand like Kingston, Corsair, or Centon. There are other acceptable brans as well, but do some research.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Sounds a bit high, especially after the CDN -> US conversion. Building yourself would save you more, or allow you to buy higher-end hardware. As for the parts, it sounds like a quality machine. A friend of mine got the 3800+ X2 and LOVES it. I have a 3400+ single core and I've already maxed it out now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ashler said:
If you are worried about pricing, I would go with the 3500+ processor. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference with what you will be using the computer for. Unless, that is, you plan on playing several games at the same time. As for the video card, it is PCI Express, which is what slot your motherboard uses.
coolign? What should I look for?

I don't have to buy there, I can get a computer custom built but would like to know what parts to buy .

I'm not sure I understand the dual core, does it mean that I could play a game, run a virus scan and download off the internet at the same time without my computer slowing down!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Yup, dual cores means it can truly multitask and do it well. Early AMDs (K5's and stuff) were plagued by poor multitasking abilities. Since then they've improved but nothing can beat multiple cores, which is what servers have used for ages. You can have a game running on one and do other things on the other. It's awesome!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you want the PC mainly for gaming then i would suggest that you go for the X2 3500+ and spend the money that you save from that on getting a graphic card like the 6800 or if your really serious the 7800 series, because there is no point in having a near cutting edge CPU like the X2 and then letting the graphics card limit the gaming experience, i built a PC for someone not long ago with a Nvidia 6600 series gfx card, and performance wise it was nothing compared to my 6800GT and mines AGP-8x not PCI-E 16x!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a new offer!

OK, I've just been given a new offer at another store for the same price
and want to know what you all think

X" 3800+
Asus A8N-SLI NF4 PCIE
300Go Maxtor 7200 16MB
Leadtek PCIE GF6 LTK-6600LE 256MB
Antec sonata2 case 450W
OCZ 400MHZ DDR 1024MB

Comes with mouse, keyboard and 1 year warranty

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'm not a fan of Maxtor, but that's a good amount of storage. Is it IDE or SATA? That card will also be the limiting factor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.