Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I was being a bit stupid today and decided to use a needle to get rid of a hair from the charger port which is for phones of my keyboard while it was plugged in to my laptop, putting my keyboard upright.

While poking around to get the hair out, the keyboard suddenly made the unplug sound and shut down, then automatically plugged itself back in.

Everything was normal after that, but I'm worried I might have done some damage. Can anyone identify what might have happened?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi you probably shorted the keyboard for a split second. If working now never clean out keyboard when plugged in. I also would of used a toothpick nothing metal.
That likely seems to be the case, thanks! Do these short circuits cause any damage or is it nothing of great concern?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it could off damaged it completely. You got lucky
Well it could off damaged it completely. You got lucky
I see thanks I guess I'll never do that again lol. When I saw the keyboard go off I immediately removed the needle so that's when it turned back on, sorry to keep pestering you I've been anxious the whole day about what happened.

In my case no damage was likely caused because the short circuit was only momentary correct? As in general if these things happen for a short period of time the less likely it is to cause electrical damage?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got lucky it just killed power and didn’t do any damage. It will be fine
Hi sorry to bother you again this might be a coincidence but my HDD seems to make a loud distinct clicking noise maybe once a day after the incident happened.

I already knew my HDD was likely already failing, but it's never made a noise this loud until the day I was messing with my keyboard. I'm not sure if it's my HDD but I'm on a laptop and I'm pretty sure it is.

Is it possible a short circuit keyboard can affect HDD or was this just a coincidence?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well a clicking noise in a hard drive not good. It most likely a mechanical failure not electrical. So I would say it coincidence that started making noise. So I would not trust that hard drive
Ok thanks just wondering :) strange thing is for my case I've done multiple HDD tests and it's completely fine and it's in good health and temperatures but it seems to be failing either way

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I was being a bit stupid today and decided to use a needle to get rid of a hair from the charger port which is for phones of my keyboard while it was plugged in to my laptop, putting my keyboard upright.
View attachment 331548

While poking around to get the hair out, the keyboard suddenly made the unplug sound and shut down, then automatically plugged itself back in.

Everything was normal after that, but I'm worried I might have done some damage. Can anyone identify worktime what might have happened?
I did that too. I almost burned out(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah well I mean that's a very extreme example I have a feeling maybe the circuits are fried on the inside of the keyboard but I wouldn't be able to see it on the exterior and the keyboard works perfectly fine so I guess I'm ok.

Just wondering do short circuits actually fry the circuits or what actually gets burnt?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,823 Posts
Could be the traces on the board, any one or more of the electronic components mounted on the board, the wires connecting the board to the computer or all of the above. Exactly what and where will rarely if ever be the same because the circumstances and/or components are rarely exactly the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts