Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Maybe I'm not posting in the correct section. If so, please move my message or tell me where to post.

Since yesterday (June 25), I can't wake up my computer from sleep neither with keyboard nor mouse.

Never had such problem since I built and have used this computer 2 years ago.

• I have not modified nor installed any hardware nor program recently.
  • I have not modified any windows settings recently.
  • I've checked in device manager, keyboard and mice are set to wakeup the computer.
  • My last windows update was on June 19 (days before the problem started).
  • Keyboard and mouse batteries are fine.
  • My Keyboard and mouse are wireless, but I also tried with a USB mouse without more success.
I just don't get where the issue comes from, why all of a sudden. This is very painful, because I can only force reboot the PC to wake it up.

My PC specs:
Desktop PC (custom build)
OS version : 1903 18362.836
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 32Go
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 TI Gaming 8Go
MB: Asus Prime X470-Pro

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,415 Posts
Turn off Fast Startup. If that doesn't work update the drivers on both the monitor and graphics card. If it was your 1070 and you downloaded the latest 3D driver , you might have to roll back

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turn off Fast Startup.
This first solution didn't work.

And now I believe I have an even more serious problem. While doing some test and trying to figure out what's going on with the PC, I realize I have issues rebooting... The PC get stuck while shutting down, ending up poping an error message while closing. Starting-up is fine.
Then I tried to launch a system restore, but getting stuck in the initial pop-up: "Preparing restore..."

I have just check in the dump file, and guess what:

I'm going to try a safe mode reboot and restore

·
26,415 Posts
Time also to run a memory test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your help.

It seems that my problems are fixed after a system restore (back to the last restore point dated June 19). I had to restore via safe mode. Figers crossed.
Still I'm worried about what happened, as I didn't do anything special with the PC.
Il will run a memory test.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much for your help.

It seems that my problems are fixed after a system restore (back to the last restore point dated June 19). I had to restore via safe mode. Figers crossed.
Still I'm worried about what happened, as I didn't do anything special with the PC.
Il will run a memory test.
I am look forward to hearing from you soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a memtest86+ for about 15 hours no error :smile:

However, I rejoiced too fast. My wake-up from sleep problem came back (not the shutdown problem).
I've restored to an older restore point, problem solved again, but coming back after some time. Restored again, etc. Anytime I restore to a "safe" restore point the problem is solved, but not for long. :banghead:

Also, I now realize that the issue is not waking up from sleep, but going to sleep. Actually, when I can't wake up the PC with mouse or keyboard and the only option is to force-reboot, the blue led on my computer case is not blinking slowly as it is expected to when in sleeping state.

So I now believe the issue is that the PC is freezing when it is supposed to go to sleep, and that's why I can't wake-it up. I still wonder what is causing this problem.

·
26,415 Posts
If it's working in Safe Mode then an app is causing the problem. In an elevated Command Prompt, run powercfg -requests. This might show you what needs to be uninstalled or fixed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's working in Safe Mode then an app is causing the problem. In an elevated Command Prompt, run powercfg -requests. This might show you what needs to be uninstalled or fixed.
I'm not saying it's working in safe mode. I'm saying that everytime I go back to an older restore point, the problem is solved but then comes back after some time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
powercfg -requests says None (or something equivalent - my system is in French) for every lines

·
26,415 Posts
Run Command Prompt as Administrator>Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth>Re-Boot and let's see if the fix works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Run Command Prompt as Administrator>Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth>Re-Boot and let's see if the fix works.
Seems to fix things after rebooting the computer. But let's see how long my computer is able to go to sleep and wake up smoothly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Corday
I'm stuck again in "freeze while going to sleep", and this time powercfg -requests is showing two issues (its partially in French so, I'm translating):

SYSTEM :
[PROCESS]
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe
Multimedia file sharing has been activated in the Windows Media player

PERFBOOST:
[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller
Power Manager

I'm not sure what powercfg -requests does.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is set to Auto, can I safely set it to Disable (I never use windows media player)?

·
26,415 Posts
In Device Manager, Update your Display Adapter(s) driver(s) .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try this. I do this on all my systems I work with.
Control Panel
System and Security
Power Options --> Click "Change when the computer sleeps"
Put the computer to sleep --> NEVER
Click SAVE CHANGES
Reboot computer.

You don't need the sleep function, it's ridiculous.

let us know (there is more to try... if needed)

-sapphire

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's been my experience that "sleep" issues are closely related to drivers, but could be other anomalies such as previously suggested by others.

I noticed that you're running 2 builds behind in your Windows OS. Have you considered updating to Windows build 1909?

The build in itself may not include a fix but often times, once the build is in place, Windows update may see an updated driver which is not being made available in your 1903 build.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts