Tech Support banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I'm just bad at handling mice. Cheaper Steelseries mice are out of stock. So, I bought a Logitech mouse.
I'm not a gamer, but Logitech is the kiss of death for me, and has been for years. Yet, I keep going back to them. I've used iHome, GearHead, and I get a limited life span out of them too. So I think mice are just born to die! Like I said, I;m not a gamer, and I can't keep a wireless mouse more than 6-8 months. It sucks.....

·
Windows Tech Team
1,056 Posts
and I can't keep a wireless mouse more than 6-8 months. It sucks.....
What follows is not an attack, but directly follows what I said to @R3DC4RD earlier: This is a clear indication of use that's, somehow, well outside the norm. I can't say how without seeing someone actually "in action" but mice typically have service lives that are years (plural) long. And that's in settings where there is constant "typical" use like offices, libraries, etc.

And that's whether it's a wired or wireless mouse, as the mechanisms of what the hand interacts with is pretty much precisely the same whether a wire is involved or wireless is involved.

Look at other people using mice in your life and try to figure out what it is that you are doing that they don't do.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,451 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you using PS/2 mouse or USB mouse? Either way, use a different port for the mouse to see if you get a different result. It is almost impossible to damage a mouse. Even static electricity discharges are not a problem for any mouse or track-ball. If you remove and insert the connector for the mouse many times every day and the computer is 4 or 5 or more years old, you may have worn the electrical contacts inside the USB socket on the computer. That is why I suggested using a different USB port.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had Asus ROG SICA mouse 3 years ago, which broke ....
Me to. It is always the wire where it enters the mouse body that begins to separate, usually one conductor at a time. I have actually repaired them when I couldn't afford a new mouse (long time ago). If you move your mouse a lot, and the cord is usually at an extreme angle to the body, the wires inside will break sooner than if the wire is straighter, or you don't move the mouse "energetically", like I do gameing. As soon as the mouse pointer begins to freeze and then move again, I figure it is time to get a new mouse. Of course, if you use a wireless mouse, disregard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have two Logitech wireless mice using their unifying receiver on both my computers. My wife users hers five to six hours daily. They both work flawlessly. Using their USB receiver eliminates any USB wear and tear. Once a month I clean the bottom with a little rubbing alcohol and Q tip the laser opening.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used corded mice for years. The cord always gives up. Electrical cords that last for years don't get moved regularly. The constant bending and straightening won't last forever. If you pack up and loved to a table, never wrap the cord around your mouse, either. Or around anything else. Go cordless?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts