Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Asus ROG SICA mouse 3 years ago, which broke after a year. It used to get disconnected and reconnected now and then. It was not so frequent. But this thing kept increasing and eventually the mouse couldn't be detected.
Then I bought a Gigabyte Arous M3 mouse. The same thing happened to that mouse after almost a year or so. Luckily I had a warranty available. So, I got a new replacement mouse. But this replacement mouse broke the same way 2 months ago. Doesn't get detected.
So, I borrowed my brother's Asus mouse. I was careful so that it doesn't break. But now it's showing the same symptoms. And I know that it's not gonna get detected anymore in few days.

So, 4 mice, 3 of which are gaming, broke the same way in just 3 years. Those mice don't work on other computers either. I had a desktop PC previously. I used to use a cheap $4 mouse on that. Ironically, that lasted about 2 years.

WHY! What should I do? I use a ROG GL553VD laptop now if that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like to me that the common demonstrator is your laptop. Is it fully updated; OS and drivers? I would contact Asus support and put in a support ticket and ask them.
OS and drivers are updated. I contacted Asus Support and waiting for them to reply

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then the next question is does any other mouse (wired or wireless) behave normally when used with the same USB port as the mice that have previously caused you issues?
Other mouse work perfectly fine when using the same USB port. But eventually, the mouse breaks.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
292 Posts
So, Asus replied and told me to visit their service center :/
Meh. Ok, so, is this feasible for you? I would say try turning the option off to put this device to sleep in device manager but I just re-read your original post and if this port is "breaking" working mice, I'd take it to a service center.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meh. Ok, so, is this feasible for you? I would say try turning the option off to put this device to sleep in device manager but I just re-read your original post and if this port is "breaking" working mice, I'd take it to a service center.
Yeah! I guess I need to take it to the service center. But they always reinstall windows which I don't like. Such a weird problem it is.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Other mouse work perfectly fine when using the same USB port. But eventually, the mouse breaks.
I hate to say it, and will probably be attacked for doing so, but I strongly suspect that this has to do with how you treat your mouse. It is well-nigh impossible for a USB port to break anything attached to it. Your initial post states that you are up to three different mice, with functional lifespans of approximately 12 months, and that all other mice attached to the computer have worked, but if kept connected have failed after approximately 12 months.

This is extremely uncharacteristic of mice, any mice. You have a pattern here that I believe is the result of some sort of abuse (and that doesn't mean it's intentional, but since several were gaming mice I know only too well how excited some gamers can get and what occurs to the controller hardware [including mice] when that occurs).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to say it, and will probably be attacked for doing so, but I strongly suspect that this has to do with how you treat your mouse. It is well-nigh impossible for a USB port to break anything attached to it. Your initial post states that you are up to three different mice, with functional lifespans of approximately 12 months, and that all other mice attached to the computer have worked, but if kept connected have failed after approximately 12 months.

This is extremely uncharacteristic of mice, any mice. You have a pattern here that I believe is the result of some sort of abuse (and that doesn't mean it's intentional, but since several were gaming mice I know only too well how excited some gamers can get and what occurs to the controller hardware [including mice] when that occurs).
I don't know. I suspected the same thing too. I used a cheaper $4 previously on my desktop which lasted 2 years. I never smash my mouse against the table or something like that. The cable breaks eventually. Cause, when the mouse starts showing the symptoms twisting the cable slightly helps. But it's unhealthy for a mouse.
As per my usage habit, I use my laptop on my bed. Naturally, I fell asleep while using my laptop. So, I'm not treating my mouse brutally when feeling upset. But, I would say, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
So, if you tell me, what not do so that the cable doesn't break it would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more thing. Which brand provides the longest warranty in terms of mice. I found that Logitech provides 2 years warranty where other brands provide 1 year. I think Logitech mice last longer. Suggest me if there's something better. I'm gonna buy a new mouse today.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
292 Posts
I use a Steelseries. You know, I've got mice from the mid 90's that still work. I just tested them. I've got one with the ball that still works provided you have a PS/2 port on the computer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use a Steelseries. You know, I've got mice from the mid 90's that still work. I just tested them. I've got one with the ball that still works provided you have a PS/2 port on the computer.
I think I'm just bad at handling mice. Cheaper Steelseries mice are out of stock. So, I bought a Logitech mouse.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts