Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed Fedora core on the computer I built a few months ago. I did not try to boot into windows. The next day, I completely redid my room and moved my computer onto another wall. I booted it the day after and none of the inputs (PS/2, USB, FireWire) worked.
I pushed the power button, It started booting. It asked if I wanted to boot into windows or linux, I pushed the down arrow on my keyboard and nothing happened. Uh-Oh. It booted Windows by default and brought me to the Welcome screen. I looked at my mouse and was relieved to see its LED turn on. I clicked on my account, and logged in. (Thank God I don't have a password). I found that the keyboard still didn't work.
I looked on the back of the computer and saw that I was using a PS/2 keyboard. I proceded to plug in a USB keyboard, and it still didn't work. I unplugged the mouse and put the keyboard in its place. It still didn't work. I put the mouse back in, and the LED didn't come on.
I reset and put the keyboard in place of the mouse. I could then select options on the boot manager, but my mouse didn't work, and as soon as I unplugged the keyboard, the USB port stopped responding.

I have never, ever seen anything like this before. I tried cleaning the dust out of my computer (not much, I've only had it for about 3 months or so), and I still have the same problem. It sounds a little like a short, but even the ports in the PCI cards I have don't work. What's especially weird is that the monitor is working through all of this.

I am reluctant to disasemble and clean it.

Specs:
Pentium 4 3 Ghz 800Mhz bus
Asus P4P800SE mobo
A gig of ram
Maxtor 200 GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 9800

Thanks!

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
Can you get into your BIOS setup utility?
Should be the DEL key at the ASUS AI Proactive POST overlay.
If not, read your motherboard manual for the procedure for reseting the CMOS, and then do so.
:sayyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can get into the bios if keyboard is plugged into the 1 usb port that barely works. I will try resetting the CMOS.

Thinking: could it be that easy?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hmmm.....if clearing the cmos dont work, try booting into safe mode by pressing F8 at startup. when you get into safe mode, go to the device manager and delete all of the mouse hardware, and keyboard hardware, and then reboot the computer. then boot into windows and let the computer re-detect the keyboard and see if that works out for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:smile: :cry:
Reset CMOS, now all the USBs work, but still no PS/2. Btw, it also seems that if I have a PS/2 kbd plugged in when I boot, nothing happens till I press a key. If that helps narrow down the problem. (which it probably doesn't)
I'll try deleting the drivers now.

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
Ok, now go back into the BIOS setup.
Under "Advanced" there should be a "USB Configuration" page.
Set USB Function to "Enabled", Legacy USB Support to "Auto", USB 2.0 Contoler to "Enabled", and USB Controler Mode to "HiSpeed".

Also under the Udvanced menu, there should be a PCI PnP page. Set Plug And Play OS to "Yes". (It's defualt is probably "No")

Under the Power menu, set ACPI 2.0 Suport to "Yes" and ACPI APIC Support to "Enabled"

Finaly, go into the Onboartd Devices Configuration and turn on the onboard IEE 1394 controler andwhetever else you want on (AC97, RAID, Game Port controler, etc.)

Now, save end exit. Hopefully, Windows will now see your ports.
This is why it's called "Plug & Pray" :grin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*sigh* still no PS/2...
I'm going to buy a USB keyboard. I've been meaning to for a while, and this is a good excuse.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
Coul be you killed your PS/2's when you unpluged while the PC was running. That's a no-no with PS/2's, yoyu know: They're not hot-plugable.
Never unplug or plug in a PS/2 device while the power is on. You're asking for trouble if you do that. :sayno:

The good news is that your MOBO is so new that it's probably still under warranty. See if the retailer will do an exchange for you. ASUS is pretty good about honoring the MFG's warranty.
:sayyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whadaya know, they have 1 USB kbd in all of best buy, office max, and circuit city, and it's 80$

That could have been it, I might have unplugged b4 I shut down. That would definately explain it.
I'll call ppl and get my mobo replaced, I'm pretty sure it had a 3 yr warranty. (gotta love asus).
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.