Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thunderbird 91.5.0 here; Windows 7:

Doing a www search for that topic = every site's information I've found tells one to 1) click on drop-down TOOLS and then OPTIONS (enroute to changing the password), or 2) pull-down MENU and then click on OPTIONS (same story . . . )

Well, there's only one itty-bitty problem: There is NO "OPTIONS" option in at either location.

OK.

So where's the magic? Can only conclude that other people are seeing things I'm not permitted to see

Thank you.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,992 Posts
Click on the 3 parallel lines at the end of T'Bird's taskbar, and from the drop down menu choose ... Preferences > Privacy & Security > Passwords > Saved Passwords

Click on Show Passwords to reveal the passwords for the accounts listed.

Right click on the account whose password you want to change, and select edit password

Edit password

When finished click Hide Password

Click Close

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I really wished what you recommended worked . . .

1. I use the previous password, and get access to Thunderbird
2. I go to Preferences and edit that password to the new one
3. The next time the pop-up appears asking for my password, I enter the new, edited version and check the "save" box
4. When I attempt to send a message, the password pop-up appears and I enter the new, edited version
5. The pop-up refuses it and gives me the REPLY / ENTER NEW routine
6. I return to Preferences, and note that the new,edited version is, in fact, listed as my password
7. Returning to the attempt to send a message, I enter the previous password, and everything moves along charmingly . . . duh . . . even though Preferences / Show Password does not show that string, but still shows the "new, edited version" . . .

Useless.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,992 Posts
Your problem is that you haven't changed the password on the e-mail server, so of course it won't recognise the new password that you've just set on your client (Thunderbird).

If you want your new password to be recognised by the server, you're going to have to login to your e-mail account using your old password, and then change the password on the account, using whatever method your e-mail supplier has for doing that.

Who is your e-mail supplier ?

If I know that, I may be able to help you (or maybe not, depends on what I can find).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts