Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

All e-mail messages coming as attachments

981 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jackdup 
#1 ·
Using Vista with Windows mail and this morning all messages are coming as attachments and have to be opened rather then displaying in the preview pane. I have never seen this before and have no idea what would cause it. It is all e-mails and not just ones from a specific person and many are just plain text.

Any idea what would cause this or how to correct it?

Thank you

#2 ·
When did you notice this problem starting? Is there something you installed recently, a hardware driver, a new program, a new toolbar, or browser add-on? Did Windows Update install something that day or up to a couple days before? What anti-virus software do you use?

#3 ·
It is actually on my mom's computer and I went over last night to have a look at exactly what it is doing. It only started doing it yesterday morning and isn't quite as I described now that I have seen it for myself. Nothing new has been installed, either hardware or software wise.

When you go to the inbox in Windows Mail the e-mails all appear normal with no attachment paper clip beside them however when you select one of the e-mails nothing shows in the preview pane below and after a few seconds a paper clip will appear in the bar between the upper and lower panes and if you select it, it shows two attachments, one which is a .txt file and the other an html. If you select the html attachment it opens the e-mail and appears as any normal e-mail normally would except in an internet explorer window.

This applies to all e-mails even ones received some time ago that at the time would appear normally in the preview pane.

I have never seen anything like it and have no idea what caused it or how to fix it.

#4 ·
Question is which Email provider does she or you use? Gmail, yahoo, MSN?

Have you ran any virus scans lately? If not update AV program and perform a full scan.

If that does not work try a System Restore to a date before the issue aquired.

#5 ·
We both use Shaw as our e-mail provider. She has AVG and ran a scan the other day and I downloaded and ran Microsoft Security Essentials as well and neither of them showed any problems.

She had mentioned the other day that her e-mail was slow and I thought she meant it was slow when you hit send receive and that it took some time to download e-mail. What she actually meant was that when you click on an e-mail already in your inbox it took a while for it to diaplay in the preview pane. Now it is slow as well and when you click on an e-mail nothing displays in the preview pane and a paper clip all of a sudden appears in the bar between the upper and lower panes even though there is no paper clip beside the e-mail in the inbox as there tradionally would be if it came as an attachment.

I wondered if I should also post this is the virus forum as perhaps someone as seen this type of thing has a result of a virus of some type that the virus scan is not detecting, but was unsure if you are permitted to post the same problem in more than one forum?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.