Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, TSF! (I apologise if wrong section)

I've been having problems downloading for the past 2-3 months, it started mild with just the odd file corrupting but lately, the problem has gotten a whole lot worse. Everything I attempt to download comes back corrupted. :sigh:

Any feedback on this is appreciated since I'm not so good with computers. I will stay responsive to any feedback. I'm hoping you guys can narrow it down for me!

- -

Here's some informations :

-The problem started mild and then gradually got worse.
-Torrent and P2P downloads finish with no corruptions.
-Streaming videos work (youtube, etc).
-It's not a malware/virus problem.
-I can download files on my laptop, so no ISP problems.
-occurs in any browser, and any download manger.

So.. what do the professionals suspect? :4-dontkno

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you tried saving then opening your files? Post some screenshots or give a detailed description of the type of errors so we can help you find a solution.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

Have you tried downloading without using a download manager?

Is it files of all sizes or just large files?

If you've got more than one hard drive or partition, have you tried saving to another drive/partition?

Have you tried saving to a different folder?

If you've got less than 15% free hard drive space, free up some space and run defrag a couple of times.

What does the error message say to let you know the files are corrupted?

What type are the files (zip, rar, exe, etc)?

Is the file size in Windows Explorer the same as shown on the website you downloaded from?

Click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen and type Device Manager into the Search box. Click the arrow next to Disk Drives to expand the entry, then post back with the name of your hard drive so we can give you a link to the correct disk diagnostics utility. This will test the drive and attempt to fix any problems it finds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, welcome to TSF
I've tried multiple browsers and download managers.

Sometimes; smaller files can finish so quickly, they escape corruption (5mb and below) but they can still corrupt.

One hard drive with a single partition.

I have 80% free space on the drive.

zip/rar's: CRC error.
exe's: "Installer integrity check has failed."

They are the same size.

SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA DEVICE

:pray:

·
Registered
119 Posts
scan your computer for any virus/spyware and malware maybe that could affect the thing that you download or maybe some programs that may also interfere with the thing that you download.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
As well as scanning for malware, clear your browser's cache before attempting to download. Disable all download managers and use 'Save As' instead.

The HD103SJ is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive.

Go to http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung to download the diagnostics utility, or use the direct link below.
ES-Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) v2.12a (03.12.2009)

ES Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) is made with the aim of testing a Samsung hard disk drive while it is installed inside a PC, regardless of the status of user's operating system. In fact of the drives returned to Samsung, a large percentage are NTF("No Trouble Found") after testing. So it is strongly recommended to test the drive if it is truly defective by a few fundamental troubleshooting of ES Tool first, to avoid user's unnecessary effort and inconvenience of replacing a good drive.

- Download ES-Tool for FDD - Direct Link - http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/estool_FDD.zip
- Download ES-Tool Bootable CD ISO - Direct Link - http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/estool_CDROM.zip
- View Additional Information - http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/ES_Tool.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will run the diagnostic tool over night and then report back.

by the way, I noticed a yellow flag in the device manager under "PCI Simple Communications Controller". Could this be linked in anyway?

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
The yellow flag means there's a driver problem. Download the latest chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website, install and reboot, then check again in Device Manager to make sure the flag has gone.

EDIT: The most reliable way to find your motherboard's details is to open the case. The make and model will be printed somewhere on the board. Or you can use software like CPU-Z, HWiNFO32, Everest, Belarc or Sandra, but they don't always give the full details.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could this driver error be related to the corrupting of downloads?

- I'm having some problems running the boot disk, some error about "ram being on c:/ and out of memory"

Did I create the boot disk correctly? The Samsung software ran, but then gave that error.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
Go to http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx and select the following for the dropdown boxes: Motherboard, Socket 1156, Intel H55, GA-H55M-UD2H, then click the Search button.

There are 2 drivers listed, one for motherboard rev 1.0 and one for rev 1.3, so you'll need to check which version your motherboard is, then click the 'Driver' link and enter 'Windows 7 64-bit' into the 'Choose your OS' dropdown box. A list of available drivers will then appear on the page.

Quick links:
Chipset driver for rev 1.0: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel.exe
Chipset driver for rev 1.3: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_intel.exe

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
Have you got the manual and CD for the motherboard? The manual should give you the rev number, and the CD will have the correct chipset drivers on it.

Try one of the other programs using the links in post #8. If none of them give the rev number, use the 1.3 driver. I can't find any drivers for rev 1.2 or 12 on Gigabyte's website or any other driver sites.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
Yes, if that's the CD for your motherboard, it will be the correct driver. Try that one first. Install, reboot and look in Device Manager again for any yellow flags. Once you get the drivers installed, we can go back to looking at the disk diagnostic.

I might be offline for the rest of the night, so if you get no replies, I'll be back tomorrow. :smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I restarted the computer it stayed on the first BIOS screen and didn't read any hardware, just the CPU details.

After restarting another 3 times, everything booted fine.

(does that hint at HDD failure or something?)

Device Manager still shows a yellow flag after trying rev 1.03.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.