Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a used Area-51m laptop on Ebay and I can't find out why the computer doesn't seem to recognize the battery. If I try to turn on the computer with battery power, it won't turn on. Then, if I plug in the ac adapter, it starts right up and once it is turned on, I can unplug the ac adapter and run off the battery! Any ideas??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything on the battery looks ok and the the terminals on the board look ok also. I have tried everything I have ever heard, such as holding the power button for 5 seconds, remove battery-press button-put back in-press again for 5 seconds. The battery is fully charged also. Is there some sort of bios command that tells it to only start from the ac adapter?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ok, what i wonder is if the little switch on the battery is turned off.

some of those laptops use a battery that has a monitor in it to read it's own charge level, and this eats power over the long term.

so sometimes, people turn it off, and the only problem is, the battery thinks it's dead.

so you turn it on, and it boots and sees the battery is full, and it will accept it.

this might be what's happening to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked and there isn't any switch on the battery at all. Is there anything else that you could think of? Is there a possibility that there is some sort of cable or wiring that runs from the power switch to the battery or something in the hardware that could have come loose somehow? :4-dontkno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.