Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Alienware 15 R3's battery capacity has dropped a lot and I have owned it for about 2 years

I started out with about 99WH and now I have about 71WH.

Is this normal or is something wrong with the computer.

Usually, the battery lasted for about 4 hours, but now it lasts for about 1 and a half hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Alienware 15 R3's battery capacity has dropped a lot and I have owned it for about 2 years

I started out with about 99WH and now I have about 71WH.

Is this normal or is something wrong with the computer.

Usually, the battery lasted for about 4 hours, but now it lasts for about 1 and a half hours.
But can it decrease this much, from 98WH to 71WH......i checked HWinfo and the wear level is 30%

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you ever USE the computer with the battery alone (no power supply)? If the computer is always or almost always plugged-in to a power supply, the computer will, all by itself, maintain the battery at 100% charge. That is actually NOT GOOD for Li batteries. There is a setting in Windows, possibly in Power Management, that causes the computer to hold the battery at about 80% of full charge when you are on the power supply. That extends the life of laptop batteries by a worthwhile amount by slowing the "degredation" of the battery. Check the battery and see what replacements cost these days. Used to be laptop batteries were $30-$80, but I looked a year ago and many were under $35 with some less than $20. Dell's batteries seem a bit higher-priced than most, and their A-w batteries might be pricey. If you do need to use the laptop battery for a trip or something, you need to change the setting to get the battery up to 100% charge. When you won't be needing the battery, you can put the setting back that stops charging at 80% full. If the battery is already at 100%, run the laptop on the battery until the battery is less than 80% charged, THEN change the setting to stop charging at 80% full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.