Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is having problems with a DSL connection and AIM, any time she tries to Direct Connect with someone it wont let her (the only person allowed is me). "Use Alternet Internet Address..." is checked off (which should do the trick) but its still not letting. I just need to know how to fix it, thanks.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
She is most likely using a router and the ports required by aim to establish a direct connection are being blocked by that router.

The solution would be to find the ports required for the direct connection then goto the router control panel: (http://192.168.1.1) <enter password> and find the forwarding option and forward those ports to the address the router assigned to her system.
(To find her router assigned address: start > run > command or cmd > ipconfig | It will be the 192.168.1.x number that shows up)

If she doesn't have a router, then whoops .. this post may help someone else in the future while they are employing the ever helpful search feature.:bandit:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah im not talking to her right this moment but the last I heard she was not behind a router or anything, she said she is connected from the DSL modem straight to her computer. Thanks for the help anyway.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Even without a router, if you have a firewall that's not configured to let the ports through, you'll have the same issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.