Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime i boot my computer (win98) a blue box pops up (Wise install setup) and then wants to install AIM, its already installed however i even uninstalled it and tried to erase all the AIM files i could find and yet it always tries to install it. How do i get rid of this? its annoying, thanks for any help.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
What must be occuring is that a shortcut has been created to the installer file, to run at windows startup. To find this out, go HERE!
Its a free program that lets you see what is running at startup, and when you find the file you think it is, you can disable it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
DJ Specs,

Just for my own (cess)pool of knowledge. couldn't this also be done as follows:
[START] -> [RUN] -> {type} -> msconfig [ENTER] -> [STARTUP] tab
-> remove the check from the box next to the offending AIM program.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PS - Love your Avatar.

twas

·
Registered
286 Posts
Jamman,

Sorry if I stepped anyones toes or nose, but I've removed AIM successfully from the startup cycle a number of times using msconfig.

I am also aware that besides the [Startup.lnk] On [Start] -> Programs most startup programs are loaded from the following Registry Keys;

HK_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
And

HK_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

I understand that I'm an unknown quanitity here, but if I hadn't been sure that this would work in this case I really won't have posted it. But alas, spilt milk, water under the bridge, etc, etc.

May TWAS the Great and Powerful Celexian God of Good Looks bless all your decendants as he has me.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
I just couldnt remember if Win98 used msconfig, so I pointed out that small program. Even though I use XP now, I still use that program over msconfig, because it's easier and more options.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Woa, calm down twas!!!! Perhaps I worded it wrong and didn't mean to insult your intelligence level but gimme a break, man- I have no idea what you know. Ask the next 100 people you meet and see what percentage know that.

Peace brother:winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I am new to these boards and probley going to get flamed for this comment....what is wrong with several soultions to one problem?? Who said we need egos to be on this board...IF I am missing something do tell...IMO

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:gun: Doonz

Just kidding, :D I believe this is a strictly non flaming board, besides no-one here does it anyway. This is a pretty peaceful board, you are correct multiple options are more likely to yield an answer.

But JAMMAN is right to, the second you assume someone knows something you find out they don't, its better to let them know, the little extra info never hurt anyone.

twas,

Like the use of the reg. info :) Your posts look like mine with 15 lines of reg. info being displayed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To all hands,

Ok, so maybe I over-reacted just a little but I'm a very senitive caring person (ha ha).

So what do say guys lets puts this behind us and go out and pillage and plunder a couple of villages and maybe deflower a few virgins (if there is such a thing).

twas

·
Registered
286 Posts
Jamman,

You can't insult my intelligence because you can't it.

Unfortunetly niether can I, hmm maybe this isn't such a good thing after all.

May my namesake The Great and Powerful TWAS look over all of you.

twas

G

·
Doonz

Don't tell me you have never pillage and plundered before...:no:

BTW is your first name sand.....LOL....J/K...:winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
OK......actually its remants from and OLD (before I knew better) AO-Hell name and a cross between what I do in the summer...work on a beach.....

and as far as P -n- P go I do that every chance I get....or atlest when the wife lets me!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.