Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was away from my laptop all summer. When I came back, AIM worked well, but then it randomly stopped opening. I would double click it and AIM.exe would show up in the task manager, but nothing would happen. Eventually AIM.exe would disappear from the task manager.
I reimaged my computer (with a school image), reinstalled SP2 and it worked fine. I then installed a bunch of Windows Updates yesterday and AIM stopped working again with the same problem.
I have been using AIM Ad Hack both times, but I don't think that's the problem. I've tried uninstalling, shutting down, and reinstalling AIM... I get nothing.
I'm not sure what to do.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
try using a different client version available at oldversion.com or a completely different client like trillian or aimutation...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've had that problem before. It was a virus. Do a few virusscans with your resident scanner and Trend Micro's Housecall. Failing that, go with the other suggestions and get GAIM or Trillian or MirandaIM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ebackhus said:
Stop using the hacked version.
I'm not anymore.
I am using GAIM at the current time, but it doesn't have all the features.
I' doubt I have an viruses, but I'll check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turns out the solution was to change AIM to the Default IM Program in Windows Program Defaults.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recommend getting Trillian. It is my prefered IM, it has features, and I can get on AIM, MSN, IRC, and/or Yahoo. If you use ICQ, IM2 has that as well as the other mentioned networks, but I have had some problems with it. Just my 2 cents.

CMA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.