Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...congrats to me for buying a BRAND NEW DELL since I totally lost the Packard Bell due to the power supply failure. For those of you that have been following along...I took the power supply apart (couldn't even turn the thing on anymore) and saw it fried. I mean....it is a wonder I didn't have a fire! YIKES!

So here I am with this Dell and SOOO up to technology it is amazing.

BUT...here is the thing. I got the standard 4600 since I already have a burner to install....I didn't need that with it or anything.

I tossed in my burner before I powered it all up and it failed to recognize it. Not sure if it recognized the CDROM or not, though. SOOO...I unplugged the burner and all, but the CDROM is not being recognized. Why would that be????? Everything is plugged in and all. UGH! I have things on CDs that I need to get onto this thing!

Help!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
assuming you connected the IDE cable and the powercable, it is possible that the master/slave setting is wrong on the CD-burner.
What was your PB configuration ?

gr

·
Registered
376 Posts
The BIOS won't recognize it, or just Windows?
Check the Dell website for BIOS and other upgrades to download.
You've got a CD-ROM and a CD-RW on the same IDE cable?
Will the CD drives open when you push the button on the fronts of them?
Make sure that pin 1 on the 40-pin cable is aligned with the pin 1 on the motherboard and CD drives.
What brand and model is the CD-RW you want to install?

As mentioned, it most likely is an incorrect jumper setting. Which one do you want as a master, and which for a slave? The master should be on the black colored IDE cable plug at the end of the cable, and the slave should be on the grey IDE cable plug sort of in the middle of the cable. CD drive jumper settings are generally on the right two pins for master, and on the center pins (vertically) for slave. However, double check your drive documentation to verify this for your particular drives.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Myself,, I hate with a passion configuring jumper cable settings to IDE devices, but....
Lay out a blank cable on your desktop, the one single end that plugs into you motherboard away from you.
The one in the middle is your Master IDE connection, and the other end is your Slave connection..
Ok, place your IDE drive, in this case your CD R and CDRW in line where you want them...
On each setup the pin settings accordingly to Master and Slave..

Now as for running, you should think about this part. Quite often CDR and CDRW will not run, or will not run very well if they are both on the same ribbon. If you are lucky to have 2 HHD and 2 CDR/CDRW combo, then you can alternate
ribbon 1: Master HDD, Slave: CDR
ribbon 2: Master HDD, Slave: CDRW

Also arrange them so that the ribbons line up to slide into place easily when you place the parts back into your cabinet..
Less confusing, I hope.

Not certain if you did or not, but you could probably salvage and reuse the HDD form the old Packard Bell.
Also start buying cans of Air Spray to clean out your board and power supply.
Do not dismantel the power supply, just spray it clean.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys...thanks AGAIN for help!

No matter what I did, it still told me it didn't recognize it so I called dell.......all the way in India!

She had me do a bunch of things to try......in BIOS....making sure NUM LOCK, CAPS LOCK, and SCROLL lock are on.....then hitting like alt F....alt E......we did that a few times...didn't work. SOOOO..we switched some things around inside...did it again...worked for the CDROM...then we did it again for the CDRW...and it worked. Now THAT was crazy. I don't really know why it took all that, but who am I??

Time to post ANOTHER issue for you guys to analyze for me! WILL IT EVER END??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
The one in the middle is your Master IDE connection, and the other end is your Slave connection..
This is false!

See Mental_Myopia's thread for the proper method of connection your IDE devices........:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speedo, not certain on this, but on the computers that I am working with, those ribbon cables hook up wth in that order, and configured in that way. Anyotehr way and I get conflicts...

Now maybe it works for super programmers and builders as you and a few others, but on mine, one end of the cable hooks to the mother board,
the middle of the ribbon cable hooks to the master IDE connection, ide #1 MAster, the end connection hooks to the Slave #2 end connection
to put it more clear...
ide ribbon...
Left side away from the two others connects to the motherboard
middle connector connects to Master IDE
right side close to the middle connects to the slave.

This is the way mine are set up, and they work, I know I just looked to confirm..
Of course I could be wrong, only been working with programs since 1981, and computers in putting them togethedr since 1985.. so very well could be wrong...

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
In this case, you are 100% incorrect, i.e. wrong. :no:

On the older 40 pin IDE cables, there is no master/slave identity, all 40 conductors are bussed to both connectors. You must set the jumpers to master or slave on these cables, and it doesn't matter which one is the master and the slave.

On the newer 80 pin IDE cables, the connector on the end of the cable is the master, and the middle connector is the slave, and they're intended to be used with the cable select setting on the IDE devices.

I'm stunned that you could have been assembling computers for so many years and not realized something as basic as the wiring of a standard IDE cable. :confused:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Lay out a blank cable on your desktop, the one single end that plugs into you motherboard away from you. The one in the middle is your Master IDE connection, and the other end is your Slave connection.
Yeeeooww! johnwill is right on here, this is wrong. To quote from Maxtor, "A Slave device should always be attached to the middle...connector on the ribbon cable."

I also hunted around the web and picked out one other example site; in the text they say "Remember that the end plug of the cable is the master and the middle plug is the slave." The site was just one of many.

Even purely from a cable-termination standpoint, the end connector should never be left unattached.

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
So I was correct on the jumper settings and the cable connections?
I've been assembling computers since last week. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
The top ribbon plug is always your master and the second one is always the slave.

Carrie,

You might want to check the burner manufacturers websites for firmware updates too. If all works fine now, there may be no need, but it's always good to have the latest.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i think i saw that exact picture on the maxtor website, but other than that comment, i have to say this is very very true.

the middle is not master.

if you take a 80 wire cable, and set both drives to cable select, you will see that the end becomes master.

with the 40 wire cables it doesnt matter much, although maxtor has been saying since the ide cable first was invented that the middle is master.

why all the argument over a fact?
it sounds like a star trek convention arguing about if kirk was better than picard, but in this case the truth is documented and we can look instead of arguing...

~BoB~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.