Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im needing to upgrade my video card soon and was wondering, Should I keep my mobo (Soyo kt-880 AGP 8x) and go to a NVidia 6600GT AGP or should I replace the mainboard to somthing with a PCI-e expansion slot? Will there be a noticeable difference?
Comp is used mainly for gaming and the Geforce FX 5200 just isnt cutting it any more.
Games:
EverQuest (orig)
WoWcraft
HL 2
CSsource
Doom3
and Elder Scrolls 4 when its released.

Thanks in advance for the tips :grin:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
As far as I know, there are no PCI-Express motherboards for socket A CPUs. So unless you intend to replace your CPU then you can't make the change. If you're interested in current game speed then it doesn't matter anyway. For current games there is virtually no performance difference between PCI-Express and AGP 8X. In fact you'll only lose a couple of percent by dropping from AGP 8X to AGP 4X. Most current games don't even saturate an AGP 4X bus so going up to PCI-Express won't give you a noticeable gain. Someday a few years down the road with a much faster CPU and video card, PCI-Express will probably make a noticeable difference but everything has to be faster before it's going to matter. With the fastest socket A CPU and a 6600GT you won't see any difference.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Sig?

Are they the same video cards and processors, AGP and PCI-e counterparts of the same model? If not, it's no comparison.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question along the same lines, A buddy of mine wants to upgrade his comp to play WoW with me. It's pretty old and only has 256mb ram and intigrated pentium graphics on the mainboard. What would give the biggest bang for the buck, PCI Vid Card? (no agp or PCI-e Slot). More Ram? New mobard and AGP Card? Im really not sure which would be best.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I'd say that computer is pretty much obselete. There's no video card whose price would even come close to justifying the upgrade- he's better off just getting some kind of newer motherboard, processor, and a decent video card, and use this old computer for simpler things. World of Warcraft is a pretty demanding game.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What processor do you have in there? At the very highest, I'd probably grab a 6600gt for socket A processors. Beyond that, the cpu is such a bottleneck you're only looking for a way to waste your money.
Also, if you do consider building a new computer, go with pci-express no matter what. AGP is pretty much dead with a slim to none chance that the top end Nvidia cards or ATI will ever arrive. PCI-express is the future, although at this particular period in time you really won't see a difference in a speed, may ~5% at most due to the bridge chip they have to use. PCI express benefits include more power supplied to the card as well as bandwidth. The bandwidth of AGP 8x isn't even near filled, but PCI-express is there before that wall occurs.
Long live AGP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.