Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've seen similar posts before regarding this topic, but the question is being asked again. Can ALL AGP 8x VGA cards run in 4x motherboards? I see that some people have mentioned that all 8x cards will run in 4x boards, but others have said most. When I read the specs of different cards, some say AGP 8x, but others say AGP 8x/4x supported.
Can I safely put any 8x card into my 4x computer (if it fits) and know that it will work?
Sorry if this is a stupid question....
Simon

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It's not a stupid question. The subject is very confusing. This page gives you the gory details on AGP compatibility. Assuming that the motherboard and video card have been manufactured according to the rules (there's some cheap no-name junk which doesn't follow them) then all AGP 8X video cards are compatible with all AGP 4X motherboards. Keep in mind that as with any upgrade there is a possibility that you're going to run into some kind of compatibility problem but it's not going to come from incompatible AGP speeds - it will come from something else.

When I read the specs of different cards, some say AGP 8x, but others say AGP 8x/4x supported.
All AGP cards which support a higher speed at a given signaling voltage are required to also support the slower speeds at that signaling voltage. So ALL cards which support 8X also support 4X. The specs which you see on websites tend to be sloppy when it comes to describing the cards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.