Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone has heard of this before.
just installed SP2 and went to auto update. After 16 updates and a restart the 2 users that were set up are now asking for a password which I did not have set up before and will not let me log on. The PC is set up to dual boot with 2K so I am not helpless, just thought I'd test run SP2 before committing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 95,
tried that but the install did not ask for an admin password on install and the same thing happens in safe mode only now there are 3 users including the admin.
Unless there is a generic password or any other suggestion.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
logon problem

Have u slove the problem???

Can tell me how u solve it??Because i also face the same problem.

When i updates the automative updates and restart my computer,it prompt me to enter the password, then i enter my password(i sure it's correct password).

But the following error message appear,

Incorrect parameter

Please consult your system administrator or try again.

thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the xppasswordrecover site did not work. below is an extract of the output

Status Code Username Password

6 Brett UNKNOWN
6 Tig UNKNOWN
19 Administrator ???????

The meanings of the status codes:

Status Code Meaning
6 There is no password for this account.

If there is a password then the password for this user cannot be obtained because the security on the system is too high. The LM hash does not exist in the registry and therefore, while it is still possible to obtain the password it would take the worlds fastest computers days to work out even quite simple passwords. Your only option is probably to reset the password to blank using a password reset tool. I recomend the Offline NT password Editor from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html.

Makes sense that the password is unknown because there is no password that we installed.
I can't check the .net framework on that drive because i can't access it, but when I boot into 2k there is nothing in the add/remove programs showing .net.

Any other suggestions or the easiest way may be to reformat and try the updates again but it's a curious one.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again guys,

I've tried the password reset tool via the link with no luck.
Anyone familiar with the tool, I follow all the instructions perfectly(well document instructions) to blank the password and confirm then it tells me the **LANMAN password is not set
**No NT MD4 hash found. this user probably has a blank password!
**No LANMAN hash found either. sorry cannot change. Try login with no password.

Then I can only go over the same steps i have done to no avail.

Anything there that might give someone a hint?

Cheers everyone

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You might try booting the alternate O/S and navigating to \WINDOWS\system32\config and deleting the SAM file. This will remove all the accounts, and you'll have to do some clean-up before things will be normal again, but you will be in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. I tdeleted the SAM file but then couldn't get back in. Ended up reformatting.

Cheers for the advice.

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,606 Posts
hey, i was always told that if a password was never put in, then just hitting enter would make the screen go away, well, thats what i did, entered my username (or selected it) and pressed enter, and it does to the desktop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.