Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm glad to have come across this forum! I hope someone can help me with my issue. I wasn't sure where to place this question, so I chose under XP, since that's what I have. I had to do a system recovery and now I'm trying to locate all my old files, programs, folders, pictures, etc...At first I thought it was all lost, but some of the program icons are still there, yet the programs won't open. I tried system restore, but there is no date available before the day my comp. messed up. I searched for all the old files, but nothing turns up. Can someone give me advice on this? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Not sure how you did your restore, you may have lost some data??

Go to Search and use the * as a wildcard for searching files by extension, such as .xls, .doc etc. Example *.xls will search for all MS Excel files, *.doc will search for all MS Word files. *.mp3 will search for all mp3 files.

For photos, download and install Picasa and it will search your entire machine for any type of pictures. This is far easier that searching by other means from my expierence.

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

JamesO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I was able to recover programs, music, movies, pictures, etc...but I still can't locate my old documents and folders that were kept on the desktop. I'm so mad at myself that I didn't back up an important folder to disk. Can anyone tell me how I might find my old documents?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.