Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,648 Posts
The disassembly of the old one should be done in a specific order. If not, parts can be ruined before installing the new MOBO.

·
Registered
An Old Woman In Comfortable Shoes
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was looking for something like that in the manual link you gave me, but I didn't see anything about that. Tell me what the order should be. :unsure:

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,074 Posts
Have you guys ever seen those youtube videos ... I think it is in Korea or Vietnam, where the guy is walking down a road with a lot of trash and he comes up on a laptop in very bad condition ... I know ... I know ... a lot of it is fake, call it a guilty pleasure ... but how he gets that laptop going again is truly inspiring. :geek:
Fake videos are all the rage. ;) It's easy to post an "inspiring" video when you don't have to do it for real. :p:p

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,074 Posts
FWIW, I've had excellent luck with laptop repairs, including several motherboard replacements, just looking for the laptop disassembly instructions on YouTube. I also take pictures as I disassemble to make sure I know how to put stuff back together if there's anything tricky. Finally, keeping the different sized screws straight is a key, some models use a lot of common hardware, some have a bunch of different sizes and length of screws, and their position is frequently critical! One extreme case had me drawing an outline of the laptop and taping the screws at the appropriate places on the outline so I could get them all back in the right places.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I learned how to disassemble that laptop by looking at a youtube video. It was pretty good help

Dell 1764

Do you think if I put up pictures of the board you might be able to see something out of place?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,074 Posts
Do you think if I put up pictures of the board you might be able to see something out of place?
Probably pretty unlikely. This is not a task that you can do in pictures, it's something that you most likely have to be there. When you're doing the work, you can document along the way and also you remember that a certain connector seemed a little "off", or it took more force than you expected to remove some part. Little things can mean a lot doing something like this. I guess I've been lucky with the few times I've actually replaced a laptop MB, I got the exact match and it went in pretty much seamlessly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The one in the video looks similar to that Doc. Did you check it out? I'm not sure about the multimeter part @ 14:00 though. Of course he had to replace parts.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here is another video where the laptop is in similar condition as the picture you posted doc. 25min. I find them very relaxing to watch. However the part with the mulitmeter ... I'm not seeing it.:unsure::coffee:

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,767 Posts
Yep, Been there, done that type of thing, many times. Saved a mainframe after it had been underwater and sat there for 5 months. (Hurricane Andrew in Florida). Happy customer of course. Might still be fun if I had more time and interest. Your turn. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wellsir ... I know an accomplishment like that would make your chest pop out a bit. I want to be able to smile and say yeah ... I got that dell 1764 going again. Those guys in the videos make it look soooo easy.:cautious:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Without taking time to read 100% of every post... do you have a volt meter? If not, they are very cheap these days and learning how to use one to diagnose electrical issues saves TONS of time. I would suggest checking the output of the computer's power supply. There is a label on the power supply that shows you which side of the power supply plug is ground and which is voltage. If you have no voltage at the output of the laptop power supply, the power supply is bad, not the motherboard. With that many computers around, are you CERTAIN you have the correct power supply for THAT laptop? They sometimes have circuits that verify the correct power supply is connected and if you plug-in the wrong power supply, you might get nothing. Also, depending on how the battery is being used, if there is no battery in the laptop or if the battery has failed as a complete short circuit or as a complete open circuit, that might prevent the laptop from starting also. When the laptop is connected to its power supply, it's possible that a battery with a problem could prevent the computer from powering up.

The label on the power supply will have a little graphic with what looks sort of like a "C" surrounding a dot right in the center of the "C". The "outside" of the "C" shape will have a line leading away from it and it will be labeled "-" or "+" or possibly "gnd" or "neg" or "pos"... the minus symbol, gnd, and neg all mean the same thing... that's ground/earth/return. The plus sign and pos both mean positive voltage. Many laptops have power supplies that output 18 volts DC... the "dot" in the center of the "C" represents the hole in the power supply plug or the pin in the center of the power supply socket on the laptop motherboard. Also, the laptop power supply MAY specify AC or DC output voltage. These are not interchangeable. If your power supply outputs AC power and the laptop is expecting DC voltage, the computer won't even begin to start. The label on the bottom of your laptop should have a small graphic of the power connection with the "C" and the dot in the center of the "C" just like the power supply socket. The voltage of the power supply output has to match the the input voltage indicated on the laptop label. If those are different numbers or different polarity, you may not be using the right power supply. If the power supply says the "neg" or "-" terminal is the outer (shiny silver metal) of the power supply plug, the laptop label must also indicate that the "outside" of the "C" is ground/negative. And the voltage of the power supply should match the voltage indicated on the laptop label.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wellsir ... I never worked on a laptop before and I wanted the experience. I don't need this laptop ... I have a total of 8 desktop and laptops. I just want to learn how to work on them. I'm just an old woman in comfortable shoes working to learn things I don't understand,:unsure:

Thanks you sooooooo much for that link ... a service manual is gold.😀(y)
You crack me with them shoes!!! LOL!😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've never even contemplated anything but an exact replacement for a laptop motherboard. I've done several of those, but I knew the motherboard matched 100%, all the connectors and nomenclature on the motherboard was identical. Those went quite smoothly, plug-n-play.
Yeah, me too. I just believe it's the DELL thing. I've owned two DELL laptops, Latitudes, and I had to replace the board in one, and the screen in the other. And it was not an easy thing to do. I did it.
I also replaced an ACER board, an Aspire, and it went well. I replaced a TOSHIBA, and it went well. Then I ran into a newer TOSHIBA. It was a trainwreck trying to find an exact board, and they sent the wrong board twice! When they did send the right board, they were both duds. I surmised from that experience, and it is borne out by the current architecture, the manufacturers don't build anything in a laptop that they consider "customer capable" to repair. Either send it to them or throw it away! Laptops are now like tablets, and there's nothing you can do with them. Well, in some, you can upgrade the memory. But that's about it!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wellsir ... after trying to contact the seller twice ... so far I got nothing but crickets. :rolleyes::sneaky::mad:

21 - 40 of 69 Posts