Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
An Old Woman In Comfortable Shoes
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wellsir ... I finally got a replacement motherboard. Installed it. At first when I tried to boot I got 7 error beeps which meant the cpu was not seated. I took it apart, check everything out ... put it back together again. This time nothing. Just the led light for the battery.

I took it apart again and put in another cpu ... put it back together again ... nothing again ... just the led light from the battery.

What did I do wrong? Could I have somehow screwed up the motherboard?:rolleyes::oops::cry:

Could the ribbon to the power switch be bad?:unsure:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir ... I cleaned off the old paste and apply fresh paste. I just put a dap on. I made sure I didn't overuse it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure it is not on because I don't hear any sound coming from it when I hit the power button. I don't hear the fan ... nothing. But if you will feel this check is necessary I will dig up a monitor from somewhere.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything fits like with the old board, so I have to say it is the correct board.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The replacement board is a dell board. The only difference between this board and the original is the cap is missing that is near the usb plug on the board. Remember the link I provided that shows the board.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wellsir ... I never worked on a laptop before and I wanted the experience. I don't need this laptop ... I have a total of 8 desktop and laptops. I just want to learn how to work on them. I'm just an old woman in comfortable shoes working to learn things I don't understand,:unsure:

Thanks you sooooooo much for that link ... a service manual is gold.😀(y)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wellsir ... after looking over everything I have no choice but to conclude the motherboard is bad. When I got those 7 error beeps I figure it was because I didn't put the CPU in well enough. But a guess the beeps were telling me the motherboard it bad. It is the only thing that would explain why I have no power.
Would you agree with this?:unsure: I plan to contact the seller.🤨

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I certainly hope I didn't short it out. Although I did make sure it was in a static free environment and I was real careful about the screws. At any rate I contacted the seller and will send the board back for a replacement I am sure they will check things out and let me know what happen.

I've replaced motherboards before just not on a laptop. I will update when there is one. Thanks much to all that posted.:love:

Reactions: jawnem

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This board was pretty much a match. All the connectors fit. The only difference was it didn't have a cap. I figure it was due to being upgraded. :unsure: It has the same model number in the memory area as my old board.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes sir ... I learned the difference between installing a laptop motherboard compared to a desktop. You have to pretty much dissemble most of the laptop to get to the board..

Wellsir ... when I send the board back I;m sure the seller will look it over and tell me if I screwed up. If I did I certainly would like to know how so I won't do it again because right now I don't know what I could have done..

But remember John ... I just want to learn how to work on laptops. The hard drive in my Dell Latitude 6420 when out and that had a few bumps in the road, but I got it going again. However this laptop is much more challenging. I've learn quite a bit so far.

Have you guys ever seen those youtube videos ... I think it is in Korea or Vietnam, where the guy is walking down a road with a lot of trash and he comes up on a laptop in very bad condition ... I know ... I know ... a lot of it is fake, call it a guilty pleasure ... but how he gets that laptop going again is truly inspiring. :geek:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was looking for something like that in the manual link you gave me, but I didn't see anything about that. Tell me what the order should be. :unsure:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I learned how to disassemble that laptop by looking at a youtube video. It was pretty good help

Dell 1764

Do you think if I put up pictures of the board you might be able to see something out of place?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The one in the video looks similar to that Doc. Did you check it out? I'm not sure about the multimeter part @ 14:00 though. Of course he had to replace parts.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here is another video where the laptop is in similar condition as the picture you posted doc. 25min. I find them very relaxing to watch. However the part with the mulitmeter ... I'm not seeing it.:unsure::coffee:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wellsir ... I know an accomplishment like that would make your chest pop out a bit. I want to be able to smile and say yeah ... I got that dell 1764 going again. Those guys in the videos make it look soooo easy.:cautious:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wellsir ... after trying to contact the seller twice ... so far I got nothing but crickets. :rolleyes::sneaky::mad:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I didn't buy it from Amazon ... I went directly to the seller, but fortunately I paid with pay pal and I can get my money back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts