Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
I've never even contemplated anything but an exact replacement for a laptop motherboard. I've done several of those, but I knew the motherboard matched 100%, all the connectors and nomenclature on the motherboard was identical. Those went quite smoothly, plug-n-play.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
Can't say at all what went wrong, I can only say that replacing the motherboard in a laptop is not as simple as replacing a motherboard in a desktop case. Truthfully, it's not possible to tell you want went wrong, without actually seeing it.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
Have you guys ever seen those youtube videos ... I think it is in Korea or Vietnam, where the guy is walking down a road with a lot of trash and he comes up on a laptop in very bad condition ... I know ... I know ... a lot of it is fake, call it a guilty pleasure ... but how he gets that laptop going again is truly inspiring. :geek:
Fake videos are all the rage. ;) It's easy to post an "inspiring" video when you don't have to do it for real. :p:p

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
FWIW, I've had excellent luck with laptop repairs, including several motherboard replacements, just looking for the laptop disassembly instructions on YouTube. I also take pictures as I disassemble to make sure I know how to put stuff back together if there's anything tricky. Finally, keeping the different sized screws straight is a key, some models use a lot of common hardware, some have a bunch of different sizes and length of screws, and their position is frequently critical! One extreme case had me drawing an outline of the laptop and taping the screws at the appropriate places on the outline so I could get them all back in the right places.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
Do you think if I put up pictures of the board you might be able to see something out of place?
Probably pretty unlikely. This is not a task that you can do in pictures, it's something that you most likely have to be there. When you're doing the work, you can document along the way and also you remember that a certain connector seemed a little "off", or it took more force than you expected to remove some part. Little things can mean a lot doing something like this. I guess I've been lucky with the few times I've actually replaced a laptop MB, I got the exact match and it went in pretty much seamlessly.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
I'm at a loss as to all the effort in getting this ancient laptop to run again. I've canned newer and more capable laptops when they've crapped out, it's just not worth the effort. I guess I'd rather learn working on something productive, makes more sense that I end up with something I can use when the "learning" is done. :D

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
FWIW, I've bought a ton of stuff from AliExpress, most all of the transactions go well. Although I've had a couple go south, I've been persistent and not gotten burned on any transaction. I had to fight pretty hard for one where they send me 50 of the wrong thing! They wanted me to ship them back at my expense, forget about that! I finally did get it resolved.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,206 Posts
I have literally done hundreds of orders with AliExpress, mostly for components, and small circuit board modules, but occasionally for larger stuff. I've had a few issues with transactions, something that I tend to expect, but no more than many eBay transactions. Unless you're going to buy through mainstream places like Digikey or Mouser, the process may not be quite as smooth, that is a fact. In only a handful of cases have I had to "go to the mat" on a transaction to get satisfaction. Frequently, if you have an issue with an order, they will simply refund the money. Shipping stuff back is price prohibitive as a rule, so any deal where you have to return an item without paid return shipping is bound to be a loser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts