Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
An Old Woman In Comfortable Shoes
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wellsir ... I finally got a replacement motherboard. Installed it. At first when I tried to boot I got 7 error beeps which meant the cpu was not seated. I took it apart, check everything out ... put it back together again. This time nothing. Just the led light for the battery.

I took it apart again and put in another cpu ... put it back together again ... nothing again ... just the led light from the battery.

What did I do wrong? Could I have somehow screwed up the motherboard?:rolleyes::oops::cry:

Could the ribbon to the power switch be bad?:unsure:

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,454 Posts
Did you use thermal paste when securing CPU? Sorry to have to ask but we never know the sophistication level of our members. Also, the area had to be "clean" and overuse of paste can also cause the problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir ... I cleaned off the old paste and apply fresh paste. I just put a dap on. I made sure I didn't overuse it.

·
31,454 Posts
To make sure computer isn't actually on, connect an external monitor.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure it is not on because I don't hear any sound coming from it when I hit the power button. I don't hear the fan ... nothing. But if you will feel this check is necessary I will dig up a monitor from somewhere.

·
31,454 Posts
Don't bother. I was going to ask about the fan sound anyway. Are you sure you got the correct board?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything fits like with the old board, so I have to say it is the correct board.

·
31,454 Posts
Dell uses proprietary parts. Just fitting doesn't mean it will work. I went back to one of your previous threads and realize how old your laptop is. Unless you bought the exact MOBO, I'm afraid you're wasting your time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The replacement board is a dell board. The only difference between this board and the original is the cap is missing that is near the usb plug on the board. Remember the link I provided that shows the board.

·
31,454 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wellsir ... I never worked on a laptop before and I wanted the experience. I don't need this laptop ... I have a total of 8 desktop and laptops. I just want to learn how to work on them. I'm just an old woman in comfortable shoes working to learn things I don't understand,:unsure:

Thanks you sooooooo much for that link ... a service manual is gold.😀(y)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wellsir ... after looking over everything I have no choice but to conclude the motherboard is bad. When I got those 7 error beeps I figure it was because I didn't put the CPU in well enough. But a guess the beeps were telling me the motherboard it bad. It is the only thing that would explain why I have no power.
Would you agree with this?:unsure: I plan to contact the seller.🤨

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
got a replacement motherboard. Installed it. At first when I tried to boot I got 7 error beeps which meant the cpu was not seated. I took it apart, check everything out ... put it back together again. This time nothing. Just the led light for the battery... a guess the beeps were telling me the motherboard it bad. It is the only thing that would explain why I have no power. .
Either the Mobo was bad when you bought it, or In the process of assembling and disassembling you missed something not being plugged in or you might have shorted out the board. Either way, it's a hardware issue that the board needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I certainly hope I didn't short it out. Although I did make sure it was in a static free environment and I was real careful about the screws. At any rate I contacted the seller and will send the board back for a replacement I am sure they will check things out and let me know what happen.

I've replaced motherboards before just not on a laptop. I will update when there is one. Thanks much to all that posted.:love:

Reactions: jawnem

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,031 Posts
I've never even contemplated anything but an exact replacement for a laptop motherboard. I've done several of those, but I knew the motherboard matched 100%, all the connectors and nomenclature on the motherboard was identical. Those went quite smoothly, plug-n-play.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This board was pretty much a match. All the connectors fit. The only difference was it didn't have a cap. I figure it was due to being upgraded. :unsure: It has the same model number in the memory area as my old board.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,031 Posts
Can't say at all what went wrong, I can only say that replacing the motherboard in a laptop is not as simple as replacing a motherboard in a desktop case. Truthfully, it's not possible to tell you want went wrong, without actually seeing it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes sir ... I learned the difference between installing a laptop motherboard compared to a desktop. You have to pretty much dissemble most of the laptop to get to the board..

Wellsir ... when I send the board back I;m sure the seller will look it over and tell me if I screwed up. If I did I certainly would like to know how so I won't do it again because right now I don't know what I could have done..

But remember John ... I just want to learn how to work on laptops. The hard drive in my Dell Latitude 6420 when out and that had a few bumps in the road, but I got it going again. However this laptop is much more challenging. I've learn quite a bit so far.

Have you guys ever seen those youtube videos ... I think it is in Korea or Vietnam, where the guy is walking down a road with a lot of trash and he comes up on a laptop in very bad condition ... I know ... I know ... a lot of it is fake, call it a guilty pleasure ... but how he gets that laptop going again is truly inspiring. :geek:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts