Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I bought a new motherboard and CPU and swapped out my old one for the new one. After hooking everything back up I received the blue screen of death saying something to the effect that system will not boot because of errors maybe caused by new hard drive or other new drives and to remove any new drives and reboot. Well there are no new drives. All my drives are the ones that were attached to my old motherboard. Well I was confused so I decided to take the hard drive and place it in another system I have. Well once I placed the hard drive in the other system I got the same blue screen of death. So I went through the old check list....making sure cables were all ok...ect..ect. Then all the sudden it wouldnt even recognize the drive at all. So once again I try the other system and then I get the blue screen of death. After checking everything again and a few reboots the drive wasnt being recognized in this system either. Well this really confused me so what I did was place another working hard drive from another system and it wouldnt work in either systems that I got the blue screen of death. It wouldnt recognize the hard drive in either of these systems.

Please any help would be great.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome Rhall75.........:D

What brand of hard drive are you trying to use in this machine?

Can you boot to a Win. 98 Boot Disk?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooops sorry it is a maxtor 20gig. I am running Win XP PRO. my system trys to go to floopy for OS because it cant find any hard drive no matter which hard drive I put in. I have even adjusted bios to boot only from hard drive and that doesnt work either. Now it does it on both the systems I tried to swap drives.

S

·
0 Posts
If I were you I would run Maxtors PowerMax and write zeros on the drive that you install to get rid of all the data that's on it.

It is available at Maxtors website.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

im not sure what speedo means, im not sure he saw you say there isnt new drives...

so you are trying to change the mobo without reinstalling?

but, you cant always just change the heart of a machine (mobo and cpu) and have it work afterwards...

i would suggest a complete reinstall.

see, if you were born, and learned to use your body, and then someone switched your body for a different one, it wouldnt work exactly the same, and you would be at a loss.

sorta the same thing here.

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
I have tried to switch motherboards and CPU's many times years ago and basically found that it's a waste of time mucking around trying to do this. So now whenever I change hard drives or motherboards or even reload the OS I write zeros to the drive first.

It's kind of amazing the issues you can avoid by doing this. It's a time consuming process and I usually do it when I hit the rack at night and it's all clean and ready to roll in the morning...........:winkgrin:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yeah

pretty much what the years have told me too

although there have been a few times when i put a hard disk into a different tower and after detecting new hardware for an hour, it worked fine.

still didnt run as good as it did when i reinstalled it a few days later.

as far as writing zeros to the drive,

im sorta scared of that, as i have had a few drives fail during that process.

i just fdisk and repartition.

then format.

but writing zeros is the way to be pretty sure that only the fbi can read what was on it.

~BoB~

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the help. I do hate hearing that I have to reformat the drive. This is the first time this has happen to me and I have build several new systems in the last few months not to mention in the past also and have never had to reformat. It just shows no matter how many times you have built or fixed systems you always run in to thing new. Thanks for the advice on reformatting, but why is the drive not recognized when comp goes through POST and it did before even when I got the blue screen of death?

S

·
0 Posts
How many hard drives are you trying to get running in here at once and are they jumpered properly?

When you turn on the machine you can enter the bios correct? And is the hard drive or hard drives recognized in the bios as being installed or not.

I think we need a list of your hardware and what you've tried already.

I just noticed the following.

All my drives are the ones that were attached to my old motherboard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the problem speedo after the BSOD now it doesnt even recognize the hard drive in BIOS as even being installed. Yes the jumpers are set correctly and yes the BIOS are set correctly. I know that the hard drive is getting power because when I turn on the tower I hear the drive click over. I now know the drive is not bad because I added it as a slave on my work computer and checked it and everything seems fine. BY the way its just one drive I am installing right now.

S

·
0 Posts
I added it as a slave on my work computer and checked it and everything seems fine
How do you define fine? Were you able to access files or was it because the bios recognized it?

I just had a lightbulb! (Idea)

How many watts is your power supply?

S

·
0 Posts
Are you sure it's jumpered as master and connected to the proper IDE port on the motherboard. Something is really outta whack here. Either that or this new motherboard is kaput.

If you set your bios to boot to floppy first does it get to the A:> Prompt?

If it does type fdisk then enter.

Choose option #4 and see what it has to report.

Write it down and post it here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.