Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a trojan the other day that installed a spyware program called Spy Sheriff. There was much cursing and swearing, but after my trusty version of AntiVir as well as a plethora of spyware programs I managed to clean the system of all viruses and spyware as far as I know.

My troubles didn't end for long. Next I got a (fairly common) problem where it says "services.exe has caused an error. Error code 203. Rebooting your computer in 1 minute" or something along those lines. I googled a bit and found that this is often associated with registry keys not matching your actual network setup. Anyhow, I ran a registry cleaner program and THAT problem seemed to go away.

Now however, my network is all messed up.

My setup is as follows: Two home computers plugged into a router that is hooked up to my DSL modem. One computer is called Office, the other is called Bedroom.

The printer is hooked up to Office, and is shared. Both computers have a few shared folders that the other can access.

After I ran the cleaner, Bedroom is no longer visible on the network. Office can't see it in the workgroup, and I can't access any shared folders. I CAN ping both computers using the IP addresses, but each computer can't ping the other using the computer's name. Each computer can ping itself using both its own IP and name.

Here's an interesting thing I just found too; when I open my computer as it should appear on the network by typing \\Bedroom\ into the address bar of windows explorer (using the bedroom computer), I can see the shared folders and printer devices. However, when I double click on any of the folders to open them it says "access denied" with an error message about contacting my administrator.

Office can access its own shared folders fine, so I am fairly confident that the problem is isolated to Bedroom (the one that got the virus before)

So that's ****ing weird. I can't even access the shared folders on Bedroom when typing Bedroom's name into the address bar.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More information:

Here's the dialog box I get when I try and access a shared folder:

I called it bedroom in the post so it was easier to follow. It's actually called "Brett" on the network. Replace all instances of "Brett" with "Bedroom"

·
Citizen of the world
51,138 Posts
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.