Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an old laptop that I want to use for doing my HJT logs, and I would like to find out about installing a linux operating system on it, it only has 64 mb of ram but I will try and at least double that,
Could you advise me on this, I know nothing about linux (sorry)

Kind regards
alba

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Hello alba;

yes it is possible to put Linux on a setup like that, but I seriously doubt that you can put hjt on it, unless you mean get on the internet to work on them (I think that's what you mean).

EDIT: How big is your harddrive?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya Henry

Yep I will be working online, running mozilla, thunderbird, AVG, and zonealarm. Offline I intend running
SmartWhois, spyblaster, Keynote.

It has 10Gb hardrive and I will take it to a Finnish guy I know and he will upgrade the ram if possible. I read on one of the other threads on this forum about Ubunca, so will pprobably go with that

thanks for your advise

alba

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Well I prefer Fedora Core because it has a graphical installer, which is very nice. But you can't run zonealram, avg, on it. Yes Mozilla products are run on it, but you have no need for an anti-virus on Linux. And when I installed FC3, it asked if I wanted a firewall, and if I wanted to activate SecurityEnhanced Linux. I chose yes to both.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course no need for anti virus :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are no hackers in the Utopian world of opensource and linux Which was the first vision of the Intrnet and WorldWideWeb where people wrote their own programs and posted them on the net so others could use them and add to them.

Until Bill Gates came along with his greed for Power and Money :dead:

Thanks for your help Henry

warm regards

alba :cool:

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
Anytime :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.