Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - i want to change my dialup to ADSL connection, its only going to be me that will use it, i know nothing about ADSL beside it going a lot better than dialup connection.
The company that i would like to join up with, offer, 500 speed, with 25 gig max, then gears back down to dialup speeds after the limit is reached for the month.
They offer a modem for $50, $130 connection fee and $39 fee for a month, no long contracts, only one month at a time.
It seems about the best deal i have come accross so far, they say i can buy my own adsl modem or by one of theirs for $50 plus $20 delivery fee which includes a filter for it
What i am not sure of is the modem itself, could i do better by buying one myself to save the delivery fee, is there good models or ones i should stay clear of ?
The filters as well, do you have to buy filters for every phone connection in the house or do you only have to buy one filter for the connecting one to your PC ?
Does the deal seem good to you ?
thanks for any help,
Tuby

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You need a filter for every connection. However if you just run a home-run cable from the telco service entrance, you can have a single filter there that handles all the POTS equipment. Personally, for a novice, I'd let them send you the modem, since it'll be easier to get running. You can buy a modem, and you'll save a few bucks, but it won't amount to more than around $20 or so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Johnwill,
I see, so if i can fit a filter in before it branches out to the other 4 outlets, i would only need 1, otherwise 1 for every outlet.
They said they support " Billion " modems, if i was to buy it myself, but i have to take in consideration that i have to configurate it myself, as you say it may be very worth while to buy theirs already set right to save me any extra problems.
thanks very much.
Tuby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.