Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I am having an issue with Adobe Reader. Here's what happened.

I wanted to scan some documents through a Lexmark all in one and send them to Adobe to make them into .pdf files. I scanned a page, it sent ok to the computer then up pops adobe reader 3.0. There was no save feature on this. I am not even sure WHY it came up to 3.0 because i have 6.0 as well. Anyway,
So, I go to add/remove programs and got rid of the 3.0 thinking that the 6.0 would be found and would work just fine..but nooooo.
Here is the error message:
cannot find the file c:\Acrobat3\Reader\AcroRd32.exe ( or one of its components ) please make sure the .dll and path and file blah blah blah...

So, I uninstalled 6.0 thinking it could be corrupt or something, downloaded it again from Adobe site, still same message ( I did restart my computer too ). Uninstalled again. This time I changed the place where I wanted it installed to, and put it directly into my C:\ etc etc etc instead of into program files.

I tried to scan another page and still get same error message. Any ideas on why this is? The all in one is brand new. Only a month old so I don't think it is an issue with that itself, but maybe it has to have the 3.0? If it does, where can I get such an outdated version...I looked on the net and only find the latest version. Also, if I have to have th3 3.0 then how can I make it save the page I just scanned when there is no save feature?

Thanks for any help in advance,,,it is VERY important that I get this working.
Hugs, EnigmasMatrix

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You need Adobe Acrobat in order to convert a file to PDF. Adobe Readers are free downloads that only allow you to open a PDF file and view it.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat?? You would know as it is rather expensive.

If you have Adobe Acrobat, you may need to scan the document as a Word document, then "Print To" Adobe Distiller if you have the full Adobe Acrobat version on software on your machine.

If you do not have Adobe Acrobat, you might be able to email your file for someone to convert or look for free online converters.

JamesO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI James,

Yup, I got Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

When I tried to scan the document to Microsoft word, this weird thing popped up, ABBYY fine reader 5.0 Sprint Plus, but it did not like my fonts on the document. The documents I am trying to scan are court documents, so they have some odd fonts etc. on them.

Ok, so what's next...lol...
Thanks for such a rapid reply! I am trying to get 3" thick stack of court papers scanned and put onto disk by the 12th of October.

Holding my breath...EnigmasMatrix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure about OCR/ReadIris issues. I have always just used Microsoft office 2000 for everything, and occasionally graphical software of various sorts. I've never had anything come up for OCR or ReadIris.

I went to the link you posted and read it. I could maybe scan these as .jpg and use the batch converter in paintshop pro? Do you think that would work? To put it back as a word file?

Quite a bit of software I have can convert files of different types. I did some as .jpg before but when I was going to print them, they had a pinkish background to them, normally I would not care but this has to be accessible by courts...you know how picky they can be...A lot of courts are converting to keeping things on disk if it is a huge file and 3" is huge...lol.

What exactly is AABBY fine reader? I don't recall ever installing this program. I tried to follow what you said and it came up all weird in my word - office 2000, for example, there is a written in area, a signature and it put half of it in a block of pink that I could move around the screen, but not the whole signature was there, another area it put weird symbols and in another area where it was just plain text, it changed the spelling and inserted letters that should not have been there as well as putting in symbols.

Very strange.
If you can think of anything else, let me know....thanks a TON....
Hugs, EnigmasMatrix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah! OCR...optical character recognition....yup...issues.
Readiris...yup...along same line as above...

Looked up ReadIris, this may be the tool that I need for this job? Or am I way off base here?

I seen I can get ReadIris 10...what is your opinion?
Thanks, EnigmasMatrix.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You might see if you can update any software you have on hand at the moment. I think the ReadIRIS upgrade is around $50 as I recall, maybe more??

Not sure I can offer much more help, but it sounds like your scanning / OCR software may be part of the issue here.

Good luck, hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Kinkos??

JamesO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whooooo....never thought of Kinkos....there's an idea... :) At least I can then get this out by the 12th and then work on the issue at hand at leisure...I get something that doesn't work right and I am bound and determined to come up with some kind of solution...lol...

Two minds are better than one...and you are BRILLIANT..would never thought of Kinkos....LOL

Thanks again and if I come up with a solution to this, I'll be sure to come back and post it for others...I am sure other people have this issue too...

Hugs, Enigma.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Do not forget, Kinkos is 24 hours!!!

So while you are wide awake thinking over your problem, you can hit the local Kinko's!

JamesO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yayyyyy I got it!

Since it's 12am, I thought I'd try a few things first...I decided that I would re download the 3.0 version again, everywhere I tried, kept sending me to adobe site...but ahhh being persistant paid off...

I found several versions at oldversion.com you have to scroll clear to the bottom of the page though, it's kida weird, or you'll get the newest version...anyway...downloaded it, installed it, rebooted and scanned a page...it's working again :)

Odd though...why would such an outdated version work so much better than the newest one???? All the fonts were perfect including the written notations on it....only thing I could not figure out was how to save the file...then i noticed that it said something about ( my documents ), so I went there and there it was...it must automatically save it...I'm so used to having to tell it where to go...which was about what I was going to do...LOL...

SO, it's fixed...I think I should be able to just put it on a disk that way and it should open up in any adobe reader...I haven't gotten that far yet to test that theory, but if not, they can download it for free...God knows I'm paying them enough! LOL...

I'm going to try that program too that you were talking about Devil Lady, cuz it may work even better...always on the lookout for something easier...LOL...

Thanks for everything ....
Hugs, Enigma.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.