72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought a new PC for office use. The specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6300
ASUS P5LD2 SE
2GB DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT
80GB Seagate Hard Disk

After I installed everything we use, I handed it to my officemate for use. After just a few hours of use, he reported that his PC restarted. I watched him work after that and I noticed that the PC restarts when he uses Photoshop CS2.
I then reformatted the PC and reinstalled everything thinking that there might be something wrong with my installation and the same problem still arise.
Just on a whim, I tried our Windows 2003 installer instead of the usual Windows XP that we use for non-IT employees and for some reason it worked. The problem was solved. So I presumed that the 32bit Windows XP might have some issues with handling Core 2 Duo PCs (the PC we bought before this were Pentium Ds and have not given us any problems).
I thought the problem was solved but now it displays the Blue Screen Of Death. The error displayed is MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I searched the support.microsoft.com and it states that it is from an unrecoverable hardware error. I'm stumped because this only happens specifically with Adobe Photoshop CS2. Other softwares run smoothly.
I posted on another forum and one reply was acknowledging that there is some issue with Core 2 Duo and Photoshop CS2 and Adobe is still working on a fix.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or a suggestion on what else I could try before I send it back to the shop where we brought it.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
So I presumed that the 32bit Windows XP might have some issues with handling Core 2 Duo PCs (the PC we bought before this were Pentium Ds and have not given us any problems).
This is not a 32bit issue because Pentium D processors are 64 bit.
Since Photoshop is a memory hogging app, I would look more along the lines of mayby the memory. Once you opened the app, it starts accessing memory addresses that weren't used before.
Try running memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im gonna try testing the memory though im confused as to why its only happening with Photoshop CS2. We are also using 3D studio max for 3d animations and stuffs and also adobe after effects (both memory intensive apps) and all of those run smoothly.
anyway, thanks for the tip about the memory.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
im gonna try testing the memory though im confused as to why its only happening with Photoshop CS2. We are also using 3D studio max for 3d animations and stuffs and also adobe after effects (both memory intensive apps) and all of those run smoothly.
anyway, thanks for the tip about the memory.
You could have an issue with a device driver conflicting with the program. Do you have other Core2 machines?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could have an issue with a device driver conflicting with the program. Do you have other Core2 machines?
unfortunately this is the first core2 machine on our company. the last i bought was a pentium D and it had no problem at all

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
When you said the computer restarted, did it restart, or shut down and not start back up again? If it restarted, Press and hold F8 before the Windows logo shows up, and when you get into the boot menu, disable automatic restart on system failure, and post the BSOD message you get.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've already done this and posted the error message on my first post.
oh btw, i tried the beta photoshop cs3 and everything worked fine. cs2 is the only software that is giving me problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok scratch the CS3 working, it still gave the BSOD. Im returning this accursed machine to the vendors and avail the warranty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.