Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a basic DSL home wireless network for several years now, installed by SBC-Yahoo. They did it all for me, and I have no idea about networks.

The basic setup is this:
A computer on our first floor is connected by ethernet cable to the main access point (2WIRE hardware).

A computer on the third floor, and sometimes laptops, can access wirelessly.
The network works great, and is quite speedy.

Now I am trying to add my Playstation 2 to the network using a LinkSys Wireless Game Adapter (which is specifically for this purpose).

I thought I was following all the directions, but can't seem to get the PS2 to connect.

You plug in the Adapter to a computer to set it up, and that is where I start getting confused. After entering the 10 digit WEP, it asks for an IP and Mask. I don't whether to leave the default, or plug in the value I see in my Network Connections panel.

When setting up on the PS2, it asks for numerous values I am not sure about:
1. DNS Addresses
2. DHCP Server Name
3. Netmask
4. IP Address
5. Router Address

I can find some of these values by poking around in my wireless settings, but I'm never sure exactly what I'm looking for, or whether it wants values from the router or from the network. Also, would values from the wire connection downstairs be different from the wireless?

I have no idea what I am doing, and need help. :sigh: I know this is a rather vague request.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You are going to want it to obtain all of that information automatically. Look for the settings "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Servers automatically". Your gaming device should be able to pulll an IP address and all of the information from the router without you haing to enter it all in.

Just to be sure go on another computer and go Start>Run> type "cmd" (no quotes) and hit enter.

That shouod open the command prompt.

Once the prompt is ready type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes).

Paste your results here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.
Should I post this information from the computer connected by etherent cable to the network, or one connected wirelessly?

When I ask for the PS2 to configure automatically, it asks for one of 2 things:
1. A DHCP server name (I can find a numerical address for this in my settings, but no name).

OR
2. A username and password. I normally don't use one of these, exept for 1 digit WEP.
paste from ipconfig: (from computer connected via cable)

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.36
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1

When I configure the wireless adapter on my computer, should I use the IP listed above, or the router's default address?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update in my quest here.

I recently tried to connect my PSP to the wi-fi using "Auto-Detect", entered my WEP, and it worked like a charm. Which suggests to me that I am configuring the wireless router, not the PS2 wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YET ANOTHER update in my quest. Following my comment in my last post, I reconfigured the wireless receiver and put in the IP of my computer downstairs. The router can now access the network, but causes a "Conflicting IP Address", and makes the internet not work down on the computer. So my question, I think, boild down to thisL

What Gateway and IP address should I use when I configure the wireless adapter?

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
You should be letting the DHCP of the router assign the IP address, that will probably solve the problem of duplicate IP addresses.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You are going to want to look for a setting "Obtain IP Address Automatically" you should run across that in the network setup process on your game system. Obtaining an IP Address automatically will allow the DHCP Server (in the router) to assign the IP address.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.