Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a video folder that I would like organize by genre (i.e.: action, drama, comedy, etc.) but Windows isn't allowing me to add or change existing file details.

I consulted this document and realized the following applies to my situation.

Some properties can't be added or changed. In those cases, clicking next to the value won't change its appearance.
Is there a work-around? (e.g.:Additional software)

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts
Hello,

Click Here to download abcAVI, save it to your desktop, once download is complete run installer => Open up abcAVI => On the top menu bar the first icon will let you select one movie file to edit, the second icon will allow you to select a whole directory to edit all movie files in it, once in the movie just go down to Genre and choose the one you would like or type in your own => Click Save once done

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful. Just what I was looking for. However, I have a few questions about the use/limitations of this software:

1. It skips files that are over 2GB. The majority of my videos are over 2GB. Do you know of a similar software that has no file size limit?

2. Most of my videos fall under atleast 3 genres and the Primary Tags section of the software only allows one genre per video file (since the secondary genre in that section doesn't appear in Windows Explorer, it's useless for me...unless there's a way to make it appear).

3. Lastly, I have .mp4 files too but as the software's name suggest, it only works with AVI'. Any substitute software, once again, that would do the trick with .mp4's?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, I messed up big time using the software.

The changes were working and the details were being applied perfectly but only after having edited about 50 videos did I realize that the software sometimes cuts the entire video clip. Notice how some of the edited videos are very small sizes.

When I play them, it runs the first couple of sections of the video; the rest is gone. Darn! Any hope recovering the originals?

·
TSF Emeritus
15,080 Posts
You can use VLC to edit the info on a file it just is not as easy. Open up your media file in VLC and press Cntrl + I and you can edit the info in there

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I tried using VLC to edit my video file and it froze when I clicked Save Metadata. I restarted VLC and tried playing the video file I used to test the property change with VLC and it was replaced with this:

Yet another video forever lost.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also just tried changing the properties for two different videos. The process went smoothly without freezing but the changes did not register using VLC.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go The Power, sorry to bring an old thread back but has there been any development on this?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Genre section is not editable for the file types I use. Only certain avi's allow genre editing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.